CNC FREAK

Building An Injection Machine

i'm planning to make an injection machine for large production

i have seen the jacob baits injection machine but i need something bigger

something to create thousands of baits/day

i was thinking of 2 pressured pots with high volume plastic

has anyone knowledge about this ? some tips ?

i was suprised of the high price for the band heaters...

but ok maybee its better, i was thinking that bandheaters would heat up the liquid much faster because the contoursurface of the pot is bigger than only the surface of the bottom

i'm thinking about using square pots in thick aluminum that holds the heat

square pots would be easier to screw to each other, also easier to make the 2 color injection system at the bottom because i could place them closer to each other than with round pots

i'm placing 2 automatic stirrers at the top, dont know if mixing in square pots would be a problem

Edited by CNC FREAK

Speaking strictly from air flow for chimneys, the corners of a square duct/vessel will not mix well.  That's the reason masonry flue liners are oval, not rectangular.  The corners actually cause resistance.  Old masonry chimneys with rectangular flues make of brick have the most soot buildup in the corners, because the air doesn't flow there.

I'm guessing liquid plastisol will behave in a similar way.  Think of eddies behind shoreline structures in rivers.

You might be better off using round pots, and encasing them in a square holder.

The 'holds the heat' comment in post No7 was a bit strange, because aluminium is actually the best conductor of heat. But, you want a good conductor to get the heat from the source element to the plastic. A good stirring system is essential to get the heat away from the aluminium and mixed into the plastic.

A square pot would burn the plastic in the corners, with no stirring action to move the hot plastic away from the walls.

Dave

From what I can gather, you guys are talking about heating a round pot, this sounds very similar to what LureCraft already has and theirs has already proven that this is not the best way to heat plastic. I know, I have owned two. Its impossible to do white or other light colors because you're heating the sides of the pot, even if it is continually adjitated, it does not heat evenly and if you adjitate hot plastic you incorporate air bubbles.

So maybe I can add a different track of thinking here, The round pots can be great for feeding a heat exchanger. They can be pressurized and adjitated without incorporating air or lets say incorporating air to the raw material dosent make any difference when thinking along these lines. You can buy painting pots with air adjitators that can act as a resivior for your raw material which can be pressurized to feed a heat exchanger. The heat exchanger must be built in way that the raw plastisol enters from one side and plastisol ready to pour exits from the other, this is basically how all injection presses work. You will need a press to hold the mold to build a machine to produce the volume mentioned in the beginning. One thing to keep in mind is that you want at least half of the plastic leaving the heat exchanger per cycle, this keeps flake and other components suspended, colors stay true, and plastic does not burn. Thinking along these lines will help you build a proper machine but by the time you invest in building your own machine, you can probably buy used equippment from someone like Sims just as cheap or cheaper.

You dont want to oversize your heater either. Even tho its controlled, over wattage is gonna give you a overheated surface "side or bottom" causing scortching. I personally at full power wouldnt want my pot empty to get a surface temp over about 370. Heat exchanger will be totally different as it has to heat it pretty quick.

It will definitely work. There's already machines like this on the market and they have been used for years, but out of common courtesy, I really can't go into any great details, all I can really do is tell you the basics, and besides a Presto pot by itself really couldn't be considered a plastic machine. If you want to thousands per day efficiently, then automation is a must and pretty well standard in the industry.

• Like 1