kajay920

Homemade 3D Eyes

I've always made my eyes on the lure with paint and 5 min. epoxy. 

Recently I've tried an idea using holographic foil.

I use a hole punch and place the dots on a piece of adhesive sandpaper backing to maintain the adhesiveness and to hold them in place for the rest of the steps. I dot the pupil, dry and then add a drop of 5 min. epoxy.

They look great and I can just super glue them in place before topcoat.

My problem is this; when I punch out the foil dots, they tear and a square tag is left on one side of the circle. I then have to trim with scissors and they aren't as round and the adhesive gets worn off.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to punch sharp dots? Or is it just my cheap punch?

I have done so by  getting some brass tubing and taking a tapered drill bit and sharpening one end of the tube. Then you can make a handle for the other side and then you can use it as a punch for whatever holographic tape your using. This has worked good for me and if you do it right, you get a nice little dot.

• Like 1

Years ago I just put the foil or electrical tape directly onto thin stencil material/milk jug etc... and then punched them clean.  After just peel the eyes off and they stick fine.  You could build and eye with off set pupil, etc.. then do the final punch to get it round also.

Edited by Travis

Kayjay920- does your 5 min. epoxy yellow after a while like most 5 min. epoxy or have you found one that does not yellow? :nuhuh:

Not anymore. I now cover the  eye with D2T during the final topcoat, which seems to give it some UV protection. The old eyes that just had an acrylic clear over it did. They didn't look bad, just not as clear.

I chuck up a leather hole punch in my drill press . Put a level horizontal on the work piece plate . Adjust that to level . Then run the punch down get eye level with plate and punch If it needs tweeking I tap it with a hammer until the gap between plate and punch face looks even . I don't turn it on . I only use pressure . I place my tape or film whatever on a flat sheet of aluminum  . Push down until I feel it cut the tape through . True I only do this for kill spots but I can make 600 or so in an hour .

• Like 1

I just grabbed an image of a fish eye, printed it on normal paper using the "best photo" setting on my printer. Maybe I should try creating my own fish eye graphic.

Here's what I did that seemed to work better. I made an RTV mold of some half round beads and pored Etex into the mold. When they set up, I dotted each with black acrylic paint using a nail head and then painted the rest with yellow acrylic. I did all the painting when the eye were still in the mold. I'll take some pictures tonight and post them here if I have the time.

I just grabbed an image of a fish eye, printed it on normal paper using the "best photo" setting on my printer. Maybe I should try creating my own fish eye graphic.

Here's what I did that seemed to work better. I made an RTV mold of some half round beads and pored Etex into the mold. When they set up, I dotted each with black acrylic paint using a nail head and then painted the rest with yellow acrylic. I did all the painting when the eye were still in the mold. I'll take some pictures tonight and post them here if I have the time.

What type of RTV did you use? Love the outcome