jc_aka_bird

Powder Coating Problem

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this forum and i'm having an issue with my powder coating. I do it for myself and have managed in the past, however this time around the color isn't cooperating.

I use the Pro-Tech powder paint by CSI.  It is older - i think i've had it for 2-4 years.  Will age affect this? The powder seems fine.

When i heat the jig head and dip in the powder, some of them don't take the powder well - looking like moss on a rock or cracked. The ones that do look decent, when baked in my toaster oven all are jacked up.

My main two colors (green pumpkin & watermelon) look like the color they should before baked, and after baking they look the same this year - no difference in color.  It also appears that the black powder paint is nearly baking off. 

any suggestions would be great appreciated.

Welcome to TU. Well I got to say that, that is a heck of a first post problem.The best thing to do first is to post some pics. I don't even know where to start with a solution for you.

As far as powder paint being old, I have powder paint over 10 years and don't have a problem. You must keep your powder paint in a cool dark area. What this means is don't leave it in the sun or in a hot car and then decide to use it. If you have done that, then the powder paint started to react with itself.

Now as far as some of the jig taking powder paint and the other half didn't. Do you have even heat distribution.? What are you heating your jigs with? Are you using clean jigs? No oil or contaminants on the jig?

If your green pumpkin and watermelon look the same , something isn't right. Did you by chance mix them?

Black powder baking off is an adhesion problem, jigs are not clean, oven too high and burning off paint?

With all this said, I am not accusing you of doing anything wrong with my statements. I'm just making suggestions on things to try, so don't take what I posted  as me questioning your intelligence.

I would need to see some pictures to make any kind of accurate statement. Maybe you do have bad paint, however problem with 3 colors is kind of strange.

Maybe others will have some input

Edited by cadman

thanks for the info thought maybe the powder was bad good to know its something im doing wrong i can fix that.

so been using a small propane torch for heat source just started using fluid bed and i bake them in a toaster oven to cure.

Q1 What is the best heat source to heat the lead for powder coating - have seen many different sources - propane torch, candle, heat gun.

Q2 Is there any way to "clean" the dirty lead to make it usable to where the powder will stick better? 

Q1 This question has a lot of answers on who you speak with. People use what they are comfortable with and what works for them. I use a heat gun. Out of all the options you mentioned, the one I would not use is a candle or a lighter. Reason being, is both of these emit soot when you heat a jig, and the candle also emits oil, which could possibly put a film on a jig head.

Q2 If you want to clean them, and they are raw jigs, you can put them in vinegar. The acid in the vinegar will etch the lead. Then just rinse with water and dry thoroughly. If they are painted put them in paint remover.

I use a propane torch, the reason being is I'm comfortable with it and it works for me and I think I have a solution to help you. First, I think Cadman is correct, I believe your problem is the toaster oven, especially if it is an old one, the thermostats are notorious for being way off so the first thing you can do is either get a fancy infra red temperature scan or go with a $5.00 oven thermometer and set the toaster oven at the settings you are currently running and check the temp after 10 minutes. To me it sounds like you are baking the paint off but I'm not sure if the same can be said for the green pumpkin and the watermelon looking the same, that is strange. I will leave you with this advice, don't get overwhelmed, use the process of elimination and start with the easiest fix, check the oven temp then clean the jigs and try again. I also have 1 last question, are you pouring your own jigs or are you buying them from someone? I ask because if you are buying them from say ebay or someone you don't know you may be getting old, oxidized heads and that may be the problem , I'm not sure but start with the easy stuff first. 

I do pour my own - and the ones I tried to powder coat had been in my boat forever.  Tonight poured some fresh new ones, coated them, baked them - watermelon color is perfect!

i did turn the oven down some.

Thank you for all your suggestions and your help.  It was a combination of things and i think i have the right mix now (if not...i'll be back!).

thanks again.

Tip I learned from the guys here on toaster ovens - go to Walmart or Target wherever and get an in oven thermometer - guys were posting temps 20+ degrees higher than what they were set on. 

Cad has taught me alot on powder painting - love my heat gun I can control it much better.  Using a fluid bed for the base color's then a slight reheat for brush tapping another another color on it.   

His sig line is absolutely true!!! 

"Practice, practice and more practice, and when you think you're good practice some more." circa 2006, Cadman

Wait till you start playing with glitters!! whole new batch of fun!!!