aydensdad82

Router For Shaping Lures

If you just cut your profile with a scroll saw or band saw on the end of the piece of wood leaving the tail end still attached to the board you can route 90% of the bait then just cut it off the board and hand finish the small tail section by hand. There is a youtube video of this in action on a router table and is as safe as any other piece of work.

If I ever get over this relapse of pneumonia and get back in my shop I'll take a picture of something. I guarantee you will never look at a router table the same way again. I can round 5-6 baits a minute and all the while extremely safe.

I like FrogAddict's suggestion, filling a couple of screw holes is very little effort, especially on a flat blank.

Looking forward to Salty's method with great anticipation - get well soon :)

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

If you just cut your profile with a scroll saw or band saw on the end of the piece of wood leaving the tail end still attached to the board you can route 90% of the bait then just cut it off the board and hand finish the small tail section by hand. There is a youtube video of this in action on a router table and is as safe as any other piece of work.

I think this is a much better solution than the one I suggested. Now I just need a band saw!

Second round of antibiotics and steroids. I hate this chit. I think I'm going to start eating the urinal cakes pretty soon LOL it can't get much worse.

White base is melamine, bottom of this is made of lexan and glued directly to the melamine so it slides real easy on the router table. Under the quick clamp is the forward edge of the lexan, this has a piece of sandpaper glued to it and keeps the bait from moving once the clamp is clipped down. You can see 2 small squares of lexan behind this that act as stops for keeping the bait from moving. With this I can route one entire side of a bait in one pass. VERY safely. You set the height of the rounding bit to meet the height of the body. Works for small or large stuff. I threw this together a few years ago and have been pretty happy with it. This is regularly used in production and I've made thousands of lures with it.

photo489.JPG

photo489.JPG

photo489.JPG

photo489.JPG

photo489.JPG

photo489.JPG

photo489.JPG

photo489.JPG

post-11475-0-66384700-1399327762_thumb.jpg

I finally did a video with some routing, in this vid i clamp the wood down and move the router, i don't always use this method, sometimes on larger lures i clamp on end down and route the other end then swap, but i find this easy for one offs

• Like 2

I'm living in China now, so no You-tube unfortunately. Pity, I was looking forward to this vid. Next time I am back in Indonesia, I will have a look.

DAve

Man, you are a wandering soul!  I hope all is well with you.

Tell us about the fishing there, when you have a chance.

Dave at least you don't have to go far for good Chinese food LOL

I'm living in China now, so no You-tube unfortunately. Pity, I was looking forward to this vid. Next time I am back in Indonesia, I will have a look.

DAve

• Like 1

I finally did a video with some routing, in this vid i clamp the wood down and move the router, i don't always use this method, sometimes on larger lures i clamp on end down and route the other end then swap, but i find this easy for one offs

Paul,

I love your videos! I subscribed to your channel awhile ago. Thank you and keep it up! You've inspired my lure builds for sure.

Paul,

I love your videos! I subscribed to your channel awhile ago. Thank you and keep it up! You've inspired my lure builds for sure.

Thanks, i am really enjoying learning to improve the quality of the videos, but it is great to hear that you have got some inspiration from them.

• Like 1

I have always wondered if it would be possible to tumble sand rough-cut lures in a bucket lined with sand paper and some silica sand.

Anyone ever tried something like this?

I'm guessing that a porous material like wood would get lots of sand embedded in that kind of a tumbling process.  Just take a look at sand blasted wood.  It might make an interesting sparkle effect on an unpainted cleared lure body, but I think it would be very hard to finish sand the lure body smooth after that process.

There are several examples of rotary tumblers used to "finish" wood pieces.  Many are DIY guys and the results are hit and miss.  One issue is the process of sanding.  This is shearing action where most of these tumblers are built or use media in a fashion that creates impact an little to no shear.  Usually it is more about knocking rough edges off the bait.  Such as kids building blocks.