spinningchicken

Eagle Claw L2798P Vs Mustad 32798Bln

I have always used the 32798 hook, but something has changed with the newer hooks.  They are not as strong as the older hooks.

I notice that Eagle Claw has changed their hooks, and wondering if anyone has used the newer 2798 hook, and how it compares to the Mustad hook?

Using this for the Do-It shakey head and arky head mold that use the 32798, 3/0 through 5/0. 

Any help appreciated.

Eagle Claw has really stepped up to the plate lately, they've been steadily expanding their offerings, especiall their Lazer Sharp series (which, by the way, has the same sharpness coefficient as Gami's).  Haven't used the specific hook myself but my buddy has and he says they're tops.

For the last 2 years I've been using the Eagle Claw Black Platinum series, the 2798, the 2706, the 3886, and the 786 with awesome results. When they came out the Black Platinum series, I tried the 2798 first, I made 100 shaky heads and sent them to a bunch of guys to try out without telling them what kind of hooks, all I said was to fish the shaky heads, I added a new spring lock. Well over the course of a full season with others fishing  them and myself, I found them to be great, very strong and super sharp, and they hold their point which the newer Mustads were failing. All the feedback I got was positive on the spring locks so nobody noticed the difference in hooks except for a few who commented on how sharp the hooks were staying after being snagged and not bending out as easily when using braid. Later the same season I got a bad batch of Mustad 32786 hooks so I tried the Eagle Claw 786BP and it too performed flawlessly, in fact if you do a search here, I wrote up a review of all the hooks I tried, I'm so happy with them that I buy them first, the only Mustad 32786 I now use is the 1/0 size as Eagle Claw doesn't make a 1/0 in the 786BP. I also forgot, the very first Black Platinum hook I used, and still use, if the Eagle Claw L111BP, it is a 60 degree EWG style flipping hook that is dangerously strong and wickedly sharp, I use them for flipping jigs. I use the 3886, a 30 degree hook for all my northern style swim jigs and I use the 2706 for my heavy swim jigs. I'm sorry for the long explanation but I really love the hooks, to get these at an affordable price yet still maintain the strength and sharpness of a premium hook, well it is awesome, not many things you can get that perform above price point but these hooks do, you won't be sorry.

I've been using the new black platinum EC hook for a couple years.  Super sharp and I haven't rolled any points over either.  I use the 111 EWG for swimbait hooks and have stuck many objects besides fish and haven't had a problem with sharpness.  The 2798 is a perfect match of the Mustad and is sharper.  I've replaced the 32796 mustad with the EC 2796 also.  Great hooks, American made and better price.  I still use Mustad hooks for worm fishing but for jigs I use the ECs.

Thanks for the responses.  The problem I'm having with the Mustads are the hook shaft bends out much easier than the older ones.  The hook points have not been the problem.  The older Mustads were less prone to straighten out.  Now, when they straighten out, I may as well throw away the jig, because the hook will straighten out without much pressure. 

I've notice this since the change of the hooks.  The Mustads used to be a bright silver, now they are a dull black color.  I assume that means a change in the metal combinations, which has led to a less 'stout' hook.

I think I'll try the 2798 Eagle Claw based on recommendations here.

Thanks again, have a blessed day.

I have been going back and forth on this and think I am about to make the jump ... What is the cheapest you guys found these at? I usually try to order all my hooks from LPO.

If you have a business license you can use Shorty's but for the public go to Captain Hooks Discount warehouse, buy in quantities of 250 or more and get a price break, 30% on 1000 count.