socal cranker

Can Anyone Help Identify These Cranks?

I can tell what they aren't.   :halo:     

As Clemmy mentioned the bottom looks to be a Suddeth.   The top I don't know, figure could be from an individual possible.   It doesn't appear to be any of the usual niche crankbait makers that I can think of currently.  Probably one or two I forgot however.

The top bait looks like a Little Petey crankbait.  There are several Tennessee builders that sell baits that look like it, some with similar names, so it's impossible to be sure unless you can identify it by the color scheme details.  Flat Shads by Sonny McFarland, Tennessee Tuffy baits build one similar, or check the following:

http://www.safetyexpressusa.com/index.html

Quote:

The Original “Little Petey�? was made famous by
tournament fisherman on the lakes and rivers of East Tennessee. Fishing
tournaments have been won with The Original “Little Petey�? on Watts
Bar, Fort Loudon, Tellico, Chickamauga, Cherokee, Douglas, Norris and
Melton Hill Lakes and the Tennessee, Clinch, Emory and Holston Rivers.
For over 45 years Pete Reynolds and his son Tony have been hand crafting
the balsa wood flat sided crank bait in Rockwood, Tennessee. During
this time The Original “Little Petey�? has been tournament tested and
proven all across the country. From Vermont to Washington State to Texas
to Virginia and all over the South East the success of The Original
“Little Petey�? has become legendary. That is why The Original “Little Petey�? has been copied by so many but never duplicated!

The second bait I've seen before but can't remember where.  Both may have been made by the same shop because of the similarities in the paint schemes.  It does resemble a Suddeth design but it looks like a wood bait to me and the Suddeths I've seen (and bought) were made from expanded foam by a small shop in Georgia that was sold sometime back.  Don't know if they're still being sold by the new owner.

The top lure does look like a Little Petey. However, it is my understanding that the originals have not been made in decades but I cannot be certain. I am just leary of anyone claiming to be selling original peteys. If you like the peteys then I would go to the Old Petey at Nomad lures. I know the owner. He tried to locate originals for a long time. He finally found some and went down to S.C. to buy some from an estate sale about 14 yrs. ago if I remember right. He paid a lot of money for them. He is the best I have ever seen at mapping something out. Plus, he is an outstanding craftsman. The Nomad Old Petey is the real deal. Trust me. He has a web site. Send him an email and ask him about the original Little Petey. He knows the rundown. SO MANY people have made that style of lure in TN, GA, and the Carolinas that it would be really hard to tell who made that lure.

The bottom one does look like a Suddeth. As far as I know Suddeth is not made anymore either. Suddeth was bought out around 2008. The new owner tried to make them but realized just how much work it is to produce baits for the masses. The smaller ones were made in GA. and they were made out of foam. Coley (on this site) had some and cut them up so we could see how they were made. The problem with foam plugs is that after they get old the foam starts to deteriorate. They just turn to dust in spots.

Skeeter

I have one Suddeth foam bait left from years ago.  I liked them and they had some unique designs that caught fish.  Suddeth would ask whether you wanted the bait to float, suspend, or sink when you ordered one.  The negative aspect was if you decided to repaint one, you had to deal with the many air voids in the surface of the foam if you decided to take the original finish off.

I agree that Blackjack at Nomad baits turns out a superior crankbait.  Don't know whether Nomad is currently active.  I visited the site and it appears to have been inactive for quite awhile.

Social Cranker, know all this has not definitively answered your question but if Skeeter doesn't know, probably no one does!

Edited by BobP

Thank you guys.

I did have a few of Blackjack's Ol Peteys, but have since traded them to a friend.  I had contact with him early this year and ordered some other models, but have not had contact with him for a while.

Sorry, the camera angle does show the best profile of the baits.  I will try and get some better pics.  They are definitely not a little Petey.  They are not as "tall"

Both of these are balsa thru-wire cranks. Neither the Little Petey or Blackjacks are thru-wire.

I thank all you guys for any help! The mystery continues?

Mark,

No sir I have not. What I have done is Devcon a BII body before I paint it so that the lure is sealed and will last a long time.  I apply it just like I was clearcoating the lure. It works just beautifully. I shoot lacquer paint so it sticks to the Devcon just fine. You don't even have to scuff it.

Skeeter

Mark,

No sir I have not. What I have done is Devcon a BII body before I paint it so that the lure is sealed and will last a long time.  I apply it just like I was clearcoating the lure. It works just beautifully. I shoot lacquer paint so it sticks to the Devcon just fine. You don't even have to scuff it.

Skeeter

Thanks.