Mudd Butt Baits

Pouring Top Water Worms Don't Seem To Be Very Common

I am new to the site and to pouring my own worms.  I will have my aluminum two piece mold coming next week, along with all the stuff needed to start.  I have Lure Craft 536 and 502, supper floater bubbles, oil and two colors.  I have searched the site for info on working with the bubbles and found only a few posts.  I am looking to float a 5" worm with a #3 skip gap hook.  I want it to float on top of the water, not float if I reel or it may float.  I am coping a worm that I bought of tv 15 years ago, it will float a #5 hook without any problems.  I am hoping that once I mix the oil with the bubbles, 50/50 that they will be less likely to take flight.  I will be using the 6oz injector and the 7 cavity mold to make these.  This bait does have a unusual shape, so what is the best way to inject the plastic?  Do I want the plastic to come form the bottom of the mold, so that the air will raise out the top?  Or can the mold sit on the table and inject from the side? The cavities do have air grooves.  I know I have a lot in my first post, but not finding what I need and hoping you guys may know. Thanks

Wear a respirator when working with those bubbles. Little glass spheres are not something your lungs will enjoy having inside them. I wouldn't mix the bubbles with the oil as the oil acts a softener but rather set a portion of your plastic aside you will use for your worms and mix them with just that plastic. Clamp your mold together and inject top down, the vents in the mold will take care of any air inside the mold.

Top down, ok so I could put the mold in a vise and that would work well.  I see someone is using like 3 table spoons to a couple of plastic, can I add to many bubbles to the plastic? Will the plastic stiffen up with the bubbles, so would the oil go in after the plastic is heated up? Is a microwave the best way to heat it up, or how about a pan that has the temp dial on it?

You can put it in a vice if you'd like that would be fine.  I don't know how much of the bubbles you should add because I personally don't and won't work with them because they're so hazardous it just isn't worth the trouble to me.  I would imagine they would stiffen up the plastic the same way salt would.  I use a microwave because it's quicker for my needs and because I don't work in large enough volumes to warrant using presto pots.

kind of dumb ...but I use a foam ear plug like a worm weight..works great for me  gets that worm as far as you want off bottom...I poke a hole thru with a needle and pull the mono right thru then tie my hook on...just make sure before you throw it in the water that the foam went back to it natural shape ....then your all set...I have found purple black pink red org.and white plugs over the years...my box is full with them...the funny thing is they look just like bullet weights for worms...laugh but it works well