Painter1

Boss Jig Armor Illusion Paint

This requires a "foundation" coat that is applied to a a heated jig and baked for 10 minutes.  Then the next color goes on and is baked.

I tried it last  night and the foundation coat looks great.  It separates into black & silver spots.  But the top color completely covers  the foundation.  Even where I managed to get the top coat on very thinly, it looks NOTHING like the picture.

I intend to contact them about this and see what they say.  

I have used the chrome and red and blue powder paint they have I just apply the base and immediately apply the color I want to show in the break up don't put it on to thick just a quick swirl you will have to experiment with what works best for you then bake the jig works for me

Sounds to me like you are putting the coats on in reverse order.

Not according to instructions.  Base coat, then the "candy" color.  I will experiment some more, but wanted to share my experience with the product.

I like some of their other colors 

What size head are you doing this too? I've done it using Columbia coatings silver vein with candy blue over top and I found that anything under 1/4oz is tough as the color ends up very dark and the easiest way is to dip in your base and then use the brush and tap method to apply the candy color.

• Like 1

I contacted them to get clear instructions (they really need to post better instructions!!!)..and followed them exactly... and I was not able to get satisfactory results either. No matter how I tried...the 2nd coat covered more than I wanted it to. 

I really like using the base coat on my jigs that I use imitate shad or crappies.

A word of warning they had on the base coat was to treat it VERY gently so you don't break up the conglomerates of color/black that make the effect. Just stir it very gently with a wood stir stick. Don't use a fluid bed. 

never had a problem with it ...

I would bake it, let it cool off, then I would heat it the jig, a few seconds and get a good light coat on, let it cool and do it until i got it where i wanted ... then i got tired of doing that lmao ... took too long for me

I just recently picked up some of this paint also & I am getting mixed results. Perhaps someone might have some advice as to how to get more consistent results.  

My first dip in the base coat came out perfectly. But after that, results were weak & inconsistent. Wondering if it's just the manner of how you dip it to get the proper effect? Such as dip it slow, or quick, give it a good swirl etc? Wondering also if maybe heat is an issue.  My first dip was quite hot( I use a heat gun), it smoked after I dipped it.

I have tried both with & without a fluid bed. Results were better without the bed, but still inconsistent. 

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

23574268_10214350391894898_1115561835_n.jpg

23601958_10214350393974950_2145423119_n.jpg

You really cannot use this in a fluid bed.  It does not work right because of the different densities of the 2 types of paint in the blend.  Because of the 2 different densities you also need to mix it well before every use or they will settle out.  Best I can say is keep trying.  It is a very picky paint that takes lots of practice.

Edited by JBarlow
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, JBarlow said:

You really cannot use this in a fluid bed.  It does not work right because of the different densities of the 2 types of paint in the blend.  Because of the 2 different densities you also need to mix it well before every use or they will settle out.  Best I can say is keep trying.  It is a very picky paint that takes lots of practice.

JBarlow, thanks for the reply!

Yes I agree, the fluid bed does not work well with this paint. For mixing, do you recommend mixing or stirring? & when it comes to dipping the head, do you have a preference? Slow or quick dip, straight in & out or give it a swirl etc?

Unexpected Development....

So, after dipping them & setting them aside, most of them were showing very little speckle, they basically looked like plain gun metal with a little pepper. 

I put them in the oven to cure, for kicks, so I could play with a topcoat afterwards, and, the speckle showed up in full force upon baking. 

Is it the baking process that draws out the speckle effect?

The more I think about it, it makes sense to me. My first dip came out great & the speckle showed up right away, but it was really hot (probably too hot, it was smoking after I dipped it). The rest were not that hot, & had less speckle. So I'm thinking that first one more or less baked right away & that's why the speckle showed up instantly, rather than after being baked. 

23659828_10214357764559210_1145990474_o.jpg

• Like 1