CNC FREAK

2 Color Laminate Tail Problem

i have made a new mold of a twister with a standard curly tail

the body of the twister is about 1/2" in diameter and 2 1/2" long

the tail is 2" in diameter , thickness 1/10"

when injecting 2 colors with a blending block, the color of the body is ok but the color of the tail is completely mixed up.

i have tried to inject fast, inject slow, doesnt work.

also tried hot and thicker plastic

my injectors are very hot

this i not a multi cavity mold, only one bait (its a prototype mold)

my blending block works perfect...

for some reason i can not make a perfect 2 color laminate

help....

the bait is completely round like a stick bait, nothing special to me.

both sides of the mold are the same...

will upload a picture tomorrow

i guess the plastic temperature must be the problem

i tried 5 times, heating some plastic in the microwave...

none of the baits are ok

shooting in one color and painting afterwords might be easier

There's no reason why that mold shouldn't shoot lams just fine based on what you have told us. If you don't have a thermometer you may want to invest a little money in one or buy some cheap candy thermometers so you can get those plastics really close to the same temp and see if that doesn't solve the problem. With everything being warmed up I think the plastic temps is where your problem lies like BaitJunky suggested.

What are you using to laminate? Are your injectors singles or are they like the Twinjector? Although temp is a big thing if you re not getting even pressure all the way through the bait one color will lead the other and not give you a good laminate. Color temp are different but does not make so big a difference with temps in the 310 range. At this temp you should get a great laminate. Know the temps and 90% of laminate problems are gone the other 10% will be in execution.

everybody thanks for the response/advice !

today i have done some shots, this time i used a digital thermometer and heated the plastic to 310 

no succes so i heated another time to 320, same result

tried 5 more times without a proper laminate

enclosed a picture to see the result

could it be possible that the "rounded ribs" in the mold are causing this problem?

a few baits have a body that are quite ok but most of the baits have also a mixed body !

i'm using 2 single injectors with a blending block.

its a single bait mold, i shoot in from the head of the bait, so i'm not using a multicavity mold and shooting from the side.

As soon as i get this one to work i will make a multicavity model.

last week i have injected another bait/mold with perfect result so my injectors/block are ok to me.

The only way i get a perfect laminate is when i shoot in 2 steps, first color 1 with a plate, remove the plate and shoot color 2. Perfect bait but to much work...

ow boy what is going wrong

IMG_20140330_141605_resize.jpg

post-46126-0-32147100-1396184632_thumb.jpg

So the injectors are not together and can be pushed individually ? The principal is a simple hydraulic one, same viscosity pressure and it won't mix. Looking at the pics seems to be a pressure thing. Plus if you fill the injectors one at a time the first one is cooling while the second is hotter then there is a viscosity difference. I know it sounds easy but to get a good laminate there is lot of things going on that make it work.

Hi Frank

sorry i forgot to mention that my 2 injectors are combined.

They can not be pushed individually. They have a thick wall so i pre-heat them.

i suck up 2 colors at once, put these in the block and inject the mold.

Works perfect but like you where saying, to get it perfect several things must be perfect.

i'm using 2 microwaves for the moment, my thermometer is working to slow to measure each color fast
so it's not that easy to get the 2 colors perfect the same temp

i will start to set up 2 presto pots with a digital temperature regulator so i have perfect temp control

i'm not sure but i think my plastic is to liquid.

am i right that if the plastic is very liquid a laminate is difficult or not possible ?

just shot some baits at 340+ same problem

BUT i discovered that every time, after sucking up the plastic and moving them out of the plastic to the blending block, the injectors are dripping. Not a few drips, its a fine stream

maybe this dripping is getting into the blending block and cause the mixed problem

have done a test and as soon as i remove the injectors out of the plastic i hold the tip up and than quickly put them into the blending block. The result is much better but still not perfect.

i think i need to solve this dripping problem and test again with several temps of plastic

have checked you tube and this dripping seems to be normal

Edited by CNC FREAK

i'm going to start with making a new blending block

not sure if this might be the cause but if will give it a try

my block has an aluminum insert tube, the colors come together before the plastic gets into the mold

i have made some nice laminates before but i will change it anyway

Bass Tackle's blending block does not combine the plastic in the block.  I never made my own because theirs works well enough.  The plastic goes into the mold in parallel streams with theirs.  I think that the instant the plastic comes together the interface starts to blur.  The longer its running together the worse it gets.  I gather this from some 20 plus cavity molds I laminate.  The first few baits are very crisp.  Most of the rest are pretty good, and the last one or two sometimes barely look laminated.  

I think part of the success of the BT block is that the plastic is running completely parallel when it starts to interface.  

Edited by Bob La Londe

Have just made my brand new blending block and it looks perfect !

the 2 colors channels are coming together in the mold and not in the blending block like my previous one

keep my fingers crossed, tomorrow i'm going to test it !!!

and i'm going to design some blending blocks for swirl effects...!

I don't know if it will swirl consistently like you hope, but another one to consider is a core shot injector.  I figured out the design a while ago, but I haven't had the time to make one and test the idea.  Basically you inject one color completely surrounded by a ring of the other.  Its pretty simple if you offset the two color passages, and then cut a ring around the face of the nozzle that interestects the second passage instead of bringing the passage all the way to the face of the nozzle.  I think the key would be keeping the volume of the ring the same as the volume as the same length of plastic passage. Cleanup might be a pain, but imagine the affects you could do if it works. 

Yeah, I know.  I know.  Somebody is going to try it now before me, and they will get all the glory.  Not the first time that has happened.  LOL. 

Edited by Bob La Londe

Bob, that sounds good and would be happy to give it a try

i can make the block this week and post the results

i have read your message several times but i dont get it

can u draw me a sketch on a piece of paper and post it please?

I could certainly sketch it out in detail for you, but what fun would that be.  

If you are going to make and design molds and other equipment you need to start  being able to build up the image and visualize the flow of operation in your head.  3D mental visualization is a very valuable skill.  I think for most people it is a learnable skill, but it does take time to learn.  On some projects I have thought my way through dozens of iterations before I picked a method I couldn't see a glaring flaw in.