Ed_White

Keeping Plastic Clear Thru A Few Heat Cycles

I'm looking for a little advice to help keep my plastic clear thru a few heat cycles, my current process is this:

1 cup Lurecraft Med-Hard Injectasol and a smidge of hardener in a 2 cup pyrex, heated in a micro and stirred several times till it turns. While that is going on, I install 2 lead/hook inserts into a 2 cavity mold. Once the plastic is ready (330 or so), I inject the mold and set it aside to cool. Once I open the mold and trim away the extra bits from the baits, these bits go back into the pyrex (which has been cooling while I wait), and back into the micro it goes to be heated again. The plastic gradually yellows till it's amber for the last shot, which is the last of the plastic, usually the 6th shot. If the plastic has been colored, there's no issue, but my favorite pattern is a clear bait with a few things added later.

Any thoughts? Am I doing something stupid?

Hi Ed,

If you aren't careful, ANY plastic will burn after several re-heats.  I'd try adding some heat stabilizer to your plastic before cooking.  Most places who sell the plastic also offer stabilizer.  The stuff is expensive, but well worth it.  Just remember a little goes a long way.  I used about 1 ounce in a gallon of plastic. 

Good luck!

i use a digital microwave 800Watts, i heat up the plastic combining full power with 30% power

plastic is cristal clear without stirring (only shaking the cup a few times)

i reheat on 10% power, works perfect to me
i think some microwaves have a program that is perfect to keep it just hot enough and dont overheat