Isaiah JV

Stencils

Take a piece of card, draw around the shape of the lure you are looking to stencil and cut the shape out so you now have the profile of the lure.

Then draw the shape/pattern you want onto the card and cut it out carefully with a sharp craftknife in your case the Herringbone pattern, 

Lay this over your lure and spray through onto the lure, practise makes perfect

good luck

• Like 1

The best and cheapest i have found...I goto the dollar store and buy the translucent cutting boards. they are 2 for a buck and cut very easy with an exact or scissors! They are very flexible too! cut a square bigger than the bait then draw the outline of the bait with a sharpie. Cut the pattern within the outline. now you have a reusable stencil for that bait that wipes clean with water and protects from overspray.

if you want vacuum formed ones do a search and you will find some threads on that. Hardest part is getting the exact same pattern on each side.

• Like 1

I have been using frisket film from Michael's.  I paper clip 2 sheets together with the film side facing each other (backing sides out).  Then draw an outline of the bait on one side.  I then draw the form I want for the bait and cut it out with an exacto knife.  I then have 2 exact copies of the pattern, one for each side.  the frisket film will stick to the lure, but is not too sticky that it pulls off paint you have already laid down, and it can be reused

Eric

What I like about the 3D clear stencils is, with proper care they last a life time and each stencil has a L/H and a R/H side. They are symmetrical about. I have used the frisket film on some projects if its something I don't want to paint again and that is fine, but the 3d stencils are the bomb as far as I am concerned.