mark poulson

Old Wiggle Warts

I am going to post two of Jim's Wiggle Warts that I tried to paint in a phantom craw.  They'll be in the Hard Baits gallery, as soon as they finish loading.

It seems that the only thing guaranteed fast on the internet is delete.

It's been 10 minutes and my emailed pictures from my phone to my computer haven't arrived yet!

They finally loaded, so now I'll upload them to the gallery.

Edited by mark poulson

WD wiggle Wart= deep rattling flat wart- dives to 13'(a larger version made by Rapala, Rapala also makes a similar sized version as the original flat wart ) , If you are looking to get another mold made the original flat wart is just as a productive bait as the original wiggle wart. It exhibits the same erratic action as the wiggle wart but with less woble.In the early Spring I have both tied on and let the fish dictate as to which one they prefer.  

Blackjack, are you willing to sell me 1-2 of them ?

Dont need to sell you any I'll give them to you. I have a bunch that are already stripped down to bare plastic. Your mold guy should have no problem duplicating these. Just PM me your contact info and I will get them out in the mail monday morning!!

Mark, I would like to get the deeper diver flat warts but I do not know if there is enough buyers to make it worth the mold cost.

I am working on a suspending model right now.

To get the extra weight needed and seeing the lure does not have many places to add weight the only thing I see I can do is put 2pcs of 5mm tungsten ball in the front chamber , this will add 2grams to the lure, but the only rattle it will have is the one loose rattle ball but that might be a good thing as well the 2pcs of tungsten will slightly rattle.

If I remember correctly the 3 ball model was the suspending wart. The floating ball in the originals would sometimes turn into dust. I thought maybe it was made of tungsten. They also came with a suspend dot on the belly.

If the ball turned to dust, it was probably lead.  Tungsten is really durable, but lead oxidizes into a white powder over time and exposure to oxygen.  

The older suspending warts I have all came with a suspend dot, and I'd add another sometimes, depending on water temps. if I had to to get them to suspend.

But mostly not, because I like them to rise slightly when I'm fishing snaggy stuff, and even rock.

Edited by mark poulson

I fished Castaic yesterday.

The normally clear water was about a foot visibility, due to the 50mph Santa Ana winds we had for five days straight, and the algae that bloomed because of the 100+ degrees we've had for those five days.

I fished one of my Predator Baits wiggle warts, a translucent orange belly/red side/dark red back with the three balls.

It ran true, and backed out of rocks and snags great.  It wouldn't back out of fishing line.  Hahaha

It also caught three keepers, and I farmed two more nice fish that came off under the boat.

I out fished my partner, who was throwing a fat free shad in red craw, six to one, even though I let him have the bow after my third fish.

Great bait!

I had painted orange claws on the bill, so I dipped the whole bait in Solarez, and then hung it over the dipping jar.  I hung it by the head and let it drip off, so the resin coating the bill would be thinner and not add weight to the bill.  The resin held up great.  The very edge got worn on the rocks, but it never peeled or came off.

I'm going to paint the rest of my three balls baits in craw colors, including something with chartreuse (why can't the French come up with easier words to spell?), for stained water or low light, where a rattle is important.

The two ball and the silent baits I'll also paint in shad patterns, but all will be translucent.  Even in off color water the paint shows enough to get bit, and the silent/translucent is dynamite in our clear lakes here in SoCal, especially on shad boils.

I think I have found my go-to small crank.

I just posted a before and after of a red craw Pred. wart to show how the bill held up to a day of rock climbing and six+ fish.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/image/13345-20140518-104311-resized/

The one on the left was fish hard all day, and the one on the right is a virgin.

Mark, what is this Solarez ?

http://www.solarez.com/productsnew/gloss.html

I bought a UV nail light so I could cure it indoors.  Three minutes and it's done.  On sunny days I take the bait outside into the sun, and rotate it, after the excess has dripped off back into the container and I've blotted the bottom hook hanger or drip.  I wait a second for the resin to flow back down, and then take it out to rotate it slowly for a minute.  Then I bring it back into my open-doored garage and hang it in the UV light box for another three minutes, rotating every 30 seconds.

Google UV nail lamp, and look at the 36 watt models.