alsworms

Old Worms Got Me Thinkin'................

So yesterday (while pretending to clean my garage B) )  I was rummaging through an old batch of hand-poured worms that were purchased before I started pouring.  Back in the early 80's, I bought worms from primarily 2 companies here in Central Cal:  Keeper and Pro Worms.  Now both make an incredible product, and I can honestly say I've caught a fair share of fish on both brands.  What I noticed was.......

Keeper - no salt

Pro Worms - salt ONLY on the flat side

I think maybe this topic came up before, but I don't know if we ever came to a conclusion.........

If you rub your thumbnail under the flat side of a Pro Worm, you can easily pick salt under your nail.  If you look at a clearer version of a Pro Worm, you can easily see the salt had "settled' to the flat side........which makes no sense to me.  Why wouldn't the salt settle to the round portion of the bait?  What's the purpose of just having salt on the flat side?  How the heck do they do it?  My only conclusion is salt is sprinkled in the mold just after the worm is poured........while the plastic is still very hot.  But then again.........we go back to why wouldn't it settle throughout the bait?  Did they maybe wait a bit for the plastic to cool before adding the salt? 

Has anyone else seen this?  I'm sure it's probably a simple solution that I'm just overlooking. 

You know you're getting old when things like this bother you.  :teef:

How about 2 separate cups of the same color one with salt and split pouring to achieve the end result?

I guess so, but why go to the trouble?  It seems like that would be wasted time, unless there's a good reason to have just the flat side salted?  Funny how I never noticed this in the past! 

Sometimes I make molds from baits that I buy.  That gives them a flat side as they are open pours.  I hate using salt so when I want them to have salt I put it on the baits after I pour and the salt only is on the flat side.   Maybe that is how they were doing it back in the day.

Jig Man........good point, and I can see doing that to a few baits for yourself, but Pro Worms is (was?) a high production company.  I just don't see them doing that to every one of their worms (unless they had some hi-tech way of doing it), and I sure don't remember them selling the baits as such.

Another thing to make note of is it's just on their worm models.  Both companies made craws, lizards, grubs, etc., but I haven't noticed that on them.

Now I'm forced to go out and test both these different baits in the water.  What a bummer.  LOL!

I also used to buy worms like this from California, they were called the California worm (little shark), these worms are actually what got me started making my own. All you do is pour the plastic in the mold and pour the salt on top, because the salt is cool it will not sink into the bottom bait (which is actually the top). I had a plastic container, about 10 four cavity hand-pour molds, and bowl of salt, I used popcorn salt. I would fill the four cavities, put the mold in a plastic container, and pour the salt over it. The salt would cool the plastic on top, I would pour the excess salt off into the plastic container then put the excess salt back into the bowl and repeat the process. You would be suprised with 40 cavities how much production you could actually achieve.

Chris; now you've got me thinking. This is slightly off topic.

How about a salt hopper attached and postioned above the pouring cup (I use Pyrex) so that as you pour the bait the hopper releases salt crystals into the stream of plastic.

Don't know if will work; just thinking outside the box; lol.

If I were the one designing the system I feel like the easiest way to do it would be almost like a conveyor belt system. Mold goes down the line, plastic fills the cavity as the mold is moving and immediately after the plastic is poured the mold moves under a cascade of salt, kinda like what they do in a chocolate factory to cover candy bars. Plastic cools, shake off the excess salt, remove the worms. Rinse and repeat.

Chris; now you've got me thinking. This is slightly off topic.

How about a salt hopper attached and postioned above the pouring cup (I use Pyrex) so that as you pour the bait the hopper releases salt crystals into the stream of plastic.

Don't know if will work; just thinking outside the box; lol.

That's pretty clever!