Tm Customs

Need some help on blank choices and starting up

Hey guys I have never tied a rod before but now I think I am going to have to, to get the action I need. I have been using Daiwa Heartland Z rods for a while now and love them, but now I need a special action. I am looking for a rod 7' ml ex fast power for a drop shot rod and then a 7' glass blank m slow power for cranks. I dont know what blanks are good but I dont really care for Loomis. Where can I get a deal on some rod blanks please provide some links, I have never bought one befor so I dont know what prices are good. Also what guides showld I use? Thread size? Finish clear coat? I am new to this but I think I am going to do it for sure. I would like to use a tennessee handle on the spinning rod like the one in the pic and a casting handle like the one in the pic where can I find these or some thing similar? Thanks guy I appricate any help you can provide.

Thanks, Tm

Hey TM, check out the post right before yours. Both rod blanks were discussed in that thread. For the 7' DS rod I would go with the StCroix 5S70MLF. The Crank blank, if you need glass and if you can find them (they were discontinued but are still around) try the StCroix SC1 glass balnks. Very nice action and not overly heavy for glass.

I would first get Tom Kirkmans "Rod building guide" also visit Rodbuilding.org for all your online info. On that site there are links to most of the major rod building companies. Visit their sites and order the free cataloges. I prefer Anglers Workshop but htere are many that the floks on RB.org will recommend. ie: Mudhole, Batson, Richards and tons more.

Make sure you read all the Library articals on the site and do searches in all areas. There are years and years of knowledge there.

Many of the sponsers of RB.org cary the Tenn. handle you want. As for the B.P.S. power hump style you might have to have something custom made.

Hope this helps

Mr B