weedsnager

devcon/epoxy glossy finish at first, then it dulls?

When that happens to me it usually because I didnt mix the epoxy well.

If your using 2ton, overnight should be sufficient for handling.

I would suggest that the humidity might effect the cure but I live in a virtual rainforest so thats not the issue.....

Did you cut or thin the epoxy befor applying?

I have had this happen a few times. I suspect that it is becouse of an improper mix or the amount of thinner used. What I do is if a bait still has that not all the way hard yet feeling is put it in the fridge for 6-8 hours or set it in a warm place heat and cold weather seem to dry the bait out till it's fully cured.

The guys are telling you right about the mixing. Make sure that the epoxy is mixed well. You do not have to thin Devcon. I never have either. From what you say, I believe the problem is the temperature. Devcon spreads best between 70 and 75 deg. This is also the best curing temperature. The hotter it is the faster it sets. The colder it is the harder it is to spread and the slower it cures. Devcon can be kept plyable for up to 3 days at temperatures around 40 deg. Do it in the house. No need to use heaters and all of that kind of stuff. Just spread it on, rotate the bait for about 20 to 30 minutes and then hang it to dry above 70 deg. for 24 hrs. before use.

Skeeter