bassman2008

Strike King #5 With Two Resins

This forum inspired me to really try MAKING a bait instead of just painting blanks, so i started out with a strike king crank and noticed a few unexpected perks.  After making an RTV silicone mold and experimenting a bit, I found that:

1. inserting a flat lexan bill and running the through wire right under the bill leaves a cavity under the bill for the resin to fill.  this cavity completely covers the wire running under the bill and also reinforces the lexan.

2.  Pouring the mold and tilting if forward with clear resin allows the bill to be completely clear and create a dense bottom layer.  before it fully hardens i add Aluimalite white mixed with microspheres to create a "top" layer to the bait.  the bait floats perfectly along this axis, tilting the bill down into the water. the top part of the picture shows the float axis.

3.  Stainless steel welding wire is perfect for forming hook hangers, soft enough to bend but .03" wire is incredibly stable.

4. cutting lexan with a scroll saw lets you fully customize the action of your bait, the picture shows a coffin bill, but this bait is normally a rounded bill.  i have also made circuit board variations using the exact same mold.

if anyone has questions or suggestions, please add them!!!  i can't wait to try these out.

coff_bill.jpg

coff_bill.jpg

coff_bill.jpg

coff_bill.jpg

coff_bill.jpg

coff_bill.jpg

coff_bill.jpg

coff_bill.jpg

post-18199-0-84686600-1397836890_thumb.jpg

Edited by bassman2008