stratos201

Devcon 2 Undercoating Issue

Ok, I have been on here for a few years and what a tremendous amount of information as well as great people willing to help out a fellow lure builder. After searching through past forums I wasnt able to find anything on the issue Im having. Im using light balsa from hobby lobby, I set my belly weights and hook hangers with devcon 5 min epoxy. I let that set up for at least a minimum of 24 hours, should have been good and cured by then, at least I think. When I go to seal the bait I use Devcon 2T and use a disposable artist brush to brush it on. I know through mixing you will get air bubbles and use a blow torch to get rid of them. The issue Im having is that Im getting air bubbles coming out of the balsa and not air bubbles from mixing. Before I even pick up the blow torch to remove any bubbles I can see them forming. There isnt alot of them but there is a few and I try to get them out as the D2T starts to set. I dont know about the rest of you guys using D2T but it sets up quicker then what it used too. Just wondering if it an epoxy issue or a wood issue? My D2T is a couple years old and stored in the garage, when using I always bring it up to room temp about 74 F. Sorry for being long winded, but just wanted to give all the information as possible, so I could get some good feed back. Thanks

I use 5 min epoxy to rejoin light balsa baits split for thru-wiring and it sets within a few minutes, then brush on 30 min Devcon for an undercoating just as you do.  I thin the 30 min D2T with a few drops of denatured alcohol to help it expel bubbles and make the brush time a little longer.  What I DON'T do is hit the lure with a blow torch.  Any significant heat applied to a wood bait tends to expand the air inside and force it out through the surface of the bait, causing bubbles.

If your waiting 24 hours after installing the ballast and hangers why the need to use the 5 minute? Have you tried using the 30 minute for your ballast and hangers? Something else you could do is seal the wood with super glue. It will not only seal the wood and keep air bubbles from escaping it will also make the exterior of the balsa much stronger. I use super glue to seal all my baits, no matter what type of wood, which is followed by a light sanding. I then apply a coat of Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy to further protect the lure as well as provide a smooth surface to paint on. It adds an extra step to do it this way, but that extra step only takes a couple of minutes.

Ben

Thanks for all the replies. I only use the blow torch to get the air bubbles out and its in a quick fan motion. I use the 5 minute for a quick set and usually make them in the evening and coat the next day. I will try a few drops of DA here in a couple days when I make some more lures. Like I mentioned before my epoxy has some age to it, so its not brand new off the shelf. I bought 3 9oz sets a couple years ago so I would have plenty. Its frustrating when you paint them and find tiny pin holes from the air bubbles.

If you heat the balsa wood then air bubbles are going form under your seal coat.   Rub the bait down with a coat of super glue and this will fix that problem.   Super glue will also harden the light balsa wood giving you a stronger bait.   Super glue will cause the grain to rise but a light sanding will is a you need before sealing with epoxy.  

I've had the same issue myself.  I believe it's mostly caused from the epoxy displacing air from the pores of the wood.  Etex is thinner and sets slower, so it allows the bubbles to leave easier.  This could be an option for you.  I never considered it much of an issue myself.  I seal with a thin coat of epoxy, then sand a lot of it off.  This will give you a very smooth, sealed surface.  I then add another heavier coat of epoxy to add strength and hardness.  The second coat could be lightly sanded as well, if you don't want that much thickness.  I doubt the extra weight will have much effect.  I've always done it that way, so I add ballast accordingly.  If you think it weighs your baits down or kills the action, remove a gram of ballast.  I have read (but never confirmed) that the specific gravity of cured epoxy is 1.1.  With the buoyancy of light balsa, the effect two coats would probably be negligible to all but the smallest baits.