Griffond

Idea's Anyone?

So I ended up with another piece of 1/4" thick balsa a friend gave me so now I have a ton of it... and I got to thinking that the best size bait on the river is 4" Husky jerk or Original Rap... now I know I could make 4" raps but well that seems a bit more work then it's worth to me...(and I already have a ton of them) anyone have any ideas on 4-5" balsa made baits that either suspend or slow sink and preferably I could put aluminum lips on since that is what I have laying around if I needed to I could possibly track some lexon down but it would take a minute. Or something with no lip works as well. Thanks in advance.

The first problem I see is that your wanting to build a bait that suspends, or slowly sinks, out of balsa. While it can be done it's not something I would consider practical. By the time you added enough ballast to make it suspend, or slowly sink, you would have killed, or severely limited, the action. The buoyancy of balsa is what makes it so desirable as a shallow water bait. By being so buoyant it makes lures made from it very "lively" when bounced off of limbs, stumps, rocks, etc.

My suggestion would be to search the internet for a chart listing the specific densities of various woods. There are much better choices for a sinking or suspending bait. If you have a "ton" of balsa you might work out a trade with someone for a more suitable wood.

just my :twocents:

Ben

I suggest a copy of the Ichiban minnow Balsa Pro walking bait.  Balsa walking baits are something you don't hear about very often but they have a livelier action than the usual plastic.  Blackjack posted a diagram of a Balsa Pro several years ago that he received from the Japanese designer.  I tried one it they are excellent baits.  If you see a pic, it is obvious how to build one except for the ballast.  That goes halfway between the tail and the belly hook hanger and the amount depends on how you want the bait to sit in the water.  I made mine to float with the tail down 45 degrees from the water's surface.  Here's a pic of one off the internet

photo2-1_zps7baab46e.jpg

No, sorry - I Googled Ichiban Minnow Balsa Pro and pasted a pic from there in my post.  The pic I posted from the internet was squeezed horizontally when I copied it to the forum and that has foreshortened the length of the lure.  They are actually about the same shape, length, and proportions as a Lucky Craft Sammy.

Edited by BobP

There is no scoop cut in the face.  I uploaded a pic of my Balsa Pro, with measurements just now to the Hardbaits Gallery.

Another possibility for a great topwater walker would be a balsa version of the Lunker Punker, which does have a scooped face.  Don't have one, so you'd need to Google it for pics, etc.  They are very popular in California.

Well I got most of the body shaped out for the fist one... I decided to use 3 pieces of 1/4" balsa all sandwiched together to get the thickness needed from the dimensions the shaping is coming along thou... I am taking my time with sandpaper after shaping with a knife.

100_2119.JPG

I use lead - no matter where from.  Given a choice, I'd use pencil shaped lead as it's easier to cut, measure, and install.  The main feature of Japanese style walkers is their gracefully curved belly shape which helps rock the bait out of the water when pulled.  Yours seems to have a stubbier shape - taller height vs length than a Balsa Pro or Sammy.  Since a lot of the bait sits above the water when paused, I don't know whether this would make a difference in the action.

Note the line tie position carefully.  I'm no topwater expert so just built mine exactly as the Balsa Pro had.