jimmur

Air Brush & Air Compressor Questions??

Just recently staring inquiring about painting crankbaits and decided to give it a try. I have a Badger 150, what type of psi do I need, and can I connect to an air compressor that I have in my shop with 1/2" and 3-4" lines.

If so, how do I go about doing this???

Any help will be very much appreciated.

you're gonna want a range of 15-40 psi, so look for a stepdown regulator to put in your airline somewhere & a water trap/filter combo will help also.

If your airbrush didnt come with an adapter, you'll need one to connect the airbrush hose to your regular airline

good luck.

I just got my airbrush and compressor the other day. I was practicing spraying some lures ( I was using createx paint) and I couldnt keep the air pressure from blowing the paint all over the lure. It would puddle up on the lure and run. Was I using too much air pressure? I had it set for 20psi.

Your pressure is fine. Somewhere between 20 and 24 psi. is about standard. The problem is that you are putting out too much paint. Is your badger a double action airbrush? With Createx you are only going to get 1 or 2 passes with the gun and then you are going to have to let it dry. If you need more coats you will just have to wait. Createx, even though it is sweet that you don't have to thin it is still a thin wet paint. It will blow on you with just a slight build up of paint. You just have to keep at it. Painting takes practice. There are no shortcuts. Just stick with it. You will learn in a short period of time. If you are happy enough with the colors, then stick with the Createx untill you learn how to shoot it. Jumping around to different brands of paints will cause more confusion because settings in pressure and thinning may have to change. You are better off learning one type of paint well before moving on to other types.

Skeeter

Skeeter has it right. I have a few Badger 150's as well. 20 PSI is exactly what I use, and yes DONT overpaint! It will blow spider lines or build up as you described. A Blow Dryer on WARM, and not on a high setting of air can speed this drying up, but again it could also add to BLOWING the paint around as well. So take your time and build the paint up gradually. I also use Createx Paint and can vouch its a great paint to start with, paint and use. My suggestion is pick up one of the begining Airbrush books. Read through it and try some of the practice sessions in it. The more you use it, the better your gonna get. PLUS, it also has some good tips in it, and also Problems and solutions that are very valuable information.

At one time, I also used a Shop size compressor and had to have the step down adaptor's. I actually bought a Water Trap as well... I am too lazy to hook it up and I havent felt the need. IMHO, I think that the compressors that DONT have a storage tank hooked up to it are in more need of a water trap than those with the storage tanks. Thats why the storage tanks have a release valve on it, to drain the water out. For the most part, the water stays in the tanks, so drain that once in a while. If you are on top of that, you shouldnt have too much of a problem Again, just my opinion. I have since moved to a smaller air compressor that is a lot more convenient for me. I actually went out this year and purchased from Bear Air some " Terry Hill Hot Hoses" and quick connects. MAN is airbrushing, cleaning and swithing colors a breeze now! I have tried other Quick release systems and this by far is the best hands down! I have a four way manifold that stays connected to my compressor, the quick connects are connected to that with the hot hoses on them. One other quick connect is connected right to the airbrushes so I can jump from one brush to another with different colors in it. I reccommend it highly. Again, stick with the Createx AND PRACTICE! Cody

I have a double action paasche millenium with a 1/8hp compressor and mini tank. I'm just now getting used to controlling the flow of the paint, a little more difficult than what I expected. I was using a chartreuse color that I suppose will take many coats to get any depth to it anyway. Maybe I was just impatient. It seems that the createx was just too watery though. I hope I can get over this rookie slump. I'll report back with the next results. Thanks for the help folks.

I had the same trouble you're having. It really boils down to practice and learning how to "sweep" or start the paint flow "before" you get to the lure and stop the flow "after" you get past the lure.

You could also be holding the airbrush way too close to your work. The finer the detail, the less air pressure, at least for me.

I have a double action Badger 155 Anthem and love it and would like to have a couple more...changing colors and cleaning is a pain with one airbrush. There too I have a jug a water on my bench and remove the cup and hold it upside down in the water and hold the triger back...it works. Of course ya have to claen the cup, so to the sink it goes everytime. :(

well things are going a little better now. I changed the paint I was using to pactra. I'm more familiar with it, I used to spray it when I was into R/C cars. It's flexible and can take a lick without chipping. Back then I had a single action brush, which I may go back to. I cant walk and chew gum at the same time so the single action brush may be the ticket for this dummy :wink: