jcool3

Pitting Problem In My Lead Pours

Could be a lot of things as Toad Frog has already mentioned. What it sounds like it the lead is freezing in layers causing wrinkles, pits and voids. If that is the case try getting the mold hotter and the lead hotter, if you are using scrap lead it may contain a high percentage of antimony making it hard lead which pours ok but requires higher temps, especially with that size jig head

I just got a lee production pot IV, because my old pot was not hot enough.  Does anyone have any suggestion on what the temp setting would be good?  It is a low to high 1-9 scale.

Right now I have it on 5.

Im using silicone molds, when the mold gets hot, I get less craters, but they never disappear.  haven't got a totally smooth pour yet.  Would cutting vent slots help?  

I just got a lee production pot IV, because my old pot was not hot enough.  Does anyone have any suggestion on what the temp setting would be good?  It is a low to high 1-9 scale.

Right now I have it on 5.

Im using silicone molds, when the mold gets hot, I get less craters, but they never disappear.  haven't got a totally smooth pour yet.  Would cutting vent slots help?  

There is your problem, the Lee Production pot IV, that isn't meant for 2oz to 3oz heads. You need a  good size ladle like a 5 ounce with a LEE 20# open pot. Even if you bump the temp up on the bottom pour it still isn't going to get you a smooth pour because it isn't fast enough so you will have freezing in layers which is going to be rough. The cheaper way out id the 4lb precision pot but you'll have to keep adding lead every 3 or 4 heads.

There is your problem, the Lee Production pot IV, that isn't meant for 2oz to 3oz heads. You need a  good size ladle like a 5 ounce with a LEE 20# open pot. Even if you bump the temp up on the bottom pour it still isn't going to get you a smooth pour because it isn't fast enough so you will have freezing in layers which is going to be rough. The cheaper way out id the 4lb precision pot but you'll have to keep adding lead every 3 or 4 heads.

I notice that a very fine stream comes out of the pot IV.  Can that hole be enlarged, drilled out slightly bigger?

I notice that a very fine stream comes out of the pot IV.  Can that hole be enlarged, drilled out slightly bigger?

If you enlarge the opening you will ruin the pot as the lead will just pour out when it melts, your best bet is to get the 20# magnum melter plus a large ladle.

http://lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Melting-Pots/Lee-Magnum-Melter-110v.html

Using a pro-4 20 Pot -Absolutely- 1 size larger. Then attach the plunger (stem) w/ the slotted end  to  a drill,apply some lapping compound to the tip, insert until it stops and spin in both directions w/ light pressure. Inspect the tip and you'll see when all irregularities are polished out.The pro-4 20 has an adjustment screw to control the rate of lead. Make  sure you  flux your lead every time you add new lead and/ or cutoff sprues to the pot.. You'll make out better w/ x-ray sheet lead( it's soft) for jigs and weights.The impurities in lead-especially garage wheel weights will give you problems.here's pot that can be drilled-

http://www.basspro.com/Lee-Lead-Production-Pot-20-lb-Capacity/product/44523/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&kpid=44523%26adc=pg_315_11128_5282c124e4b006f67e95bcb3_41408749711

Edited for spelling

Edited by smallmouthaholic

toadfrog and smalljaw is giving you good advice

The temp normally needs to be set on 8.

I don't think a vent will help.

"a pic is worth a thousand words."

cranked it up to 8, now my pours are usable.  not perfect. thanks.

I think  I might be too hot.  the lead in the pouring hold of my mold stays liquid for about 20 seconds.

Using a pro-4 20 Pot -Absolutely- 1 size larger. Then attach the plunger (stem) w/ the slotted end  to  a drill,apply some lapping compound to the tip, insert until it stops and spin in both directions w/ light pressure. Inspect the tip and you'll see when all irregularities are polished out.The pro-4 20 has an adjustment screw to control the rate of lead. Make  sure you  flux your lead every time you add new lead and/ or cutoff sprues to the pot.. You'll make out better w/ x-ray sheet lead( it's soft) for jigs and weights.The impurities in lead-especially garage wheel weights will give you problems.here's pot that can be drilled-

http://www.basspro.com/Lee-Lead-Production-Pot-20-lb-Capacity/product/44523/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&kpid=44523%26adc=pg_315_11128_5282c124e4b006f67e95bcb3_41408749711

Edited for spelling

wish I got the 4 20 instead!

I'm getting pretty good pours now without modifying the lee pot IV. Heat setting about 7.  Adding some softer lead to the mix,  fluxing, enlarging the pour hold in the mold, and making sure the silicone mold is hot.  

Still getting the occasional pits.  Solution seems to be throw the bad ones back in the pot and repour.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

jcool what you are referring to here are called inclusions. These are caused by a number of things. Speed of pouring causing turbulence in the flow of metal, this increases the chance of oxides forming. Fluidity of the metal can cause this, dirt or dust/impurity contamination, poor molds, improper mold release, gas buildup in your pour caused by improper venting, temperature causing premature shrinkage, all kinds of stuff can cause this.

Change your flux first. I'm betting you have really dirty lead or ladle.. Salammoniac works well but it's nasty, a wood stick works well, bees wax works well although very flammable LOL watch your eyebrows. There's also some bullet pouring stuff from places like midway etc that work well too. 

If changing flux doesnt fix it then pour hotter and slower.

jcool what you are referring to here are called inclusions. These are caused by a number of things. Speed of pouring causing turbulence in the flow of metal, this increases the chance of oxides forming. Fluidity of the metal can cause this, dirt or dust/impurity contamination, poor molds, improper mold release, gas buildup in your pour caused by improper venting, temperature causing premature shrinkage, all kinds of stuff can cause this.

Change your flux first. I'm betting you have really dirty lead or ladle.. Salammoniac works well but it's nasty, a wood stick works well, bees wax works well although very flammable LOL watch your eyebrows. There's also some bullet pouring stuff from places like midway etc that work well too. 

If changing flux doesnt fix it then pour hotter and slower.

Does the position of the pour hole make any difference?  I put the pour hole in the middle (belly) of my fish shaped jigs.  Would putting the pour hole near one end change the flow pattern.

Also, even on good pours I may get a few pits. What do you guys using to fill the pits.  Would bondo work?