JBlaze

New Weed Guard Set-Up From Mark Pack

had to come back...I fish the sloppy stuff all the time...logs, thick weeds, matts, lillys....and to be honest ..I never lost a jig..never..i have chipped the paint all to hell...but never lost one...your line must be the sales pitch..toget buyers reeled in..but not at 6.99...thoses are suckers  and I catch thoses with a nightcrawler sir...

I have bought chatterbits that have the same weedguard. I think it is a gimmick and will cause allot of missed fish. I believe it actually hinders the setting of the hook. I cut it off and tossed it. It is very stiff. I have good success with regular weedguards

anything over hook will hinder hooksets.. the hook doesnt stay in 1 place in fished mouth.. it needs to move around. i just think the collar an attached gaurd will get u pissed off.. jmo though.

Update:  As a hobbyist and retired guy just looking to be able to fish my lures through the grass here on the CA Delta, I put weed guards on anything I can.

I tried using a short piece of weed wacker replacement line super glued into the weed guard hole, and it works.  The line has a curve from being coiled in the package, so I just fill the weed guard hole with gap filling super glue,  set the piece of wacker line into the hole, hold the line just above the hook point (aligning that curve with the hook point),  put on a drop of accelerant to set the glue, and it holds fine.

The wacker line is stiff enough to hold it's position up above the hook point without any rubber band attachment, but it's flexible enough for the fish to bite down onto the hook with no problems.

I did this with some Do-It Arkie heads, for chatter jigs, and also with some swimbait jig heads, drilling my own hole, and it works great!  No weeds, and great hookups.  And they don't throw the hook, at least on the 3/8 and 1/2 oz heads I use.  I get all the advantages of an exposed hook with no weeds!

Edited by mark poulson
  • Thanks 1

I have 200lb black mono I use for slip rig duck decoys.  It seems limber, but try cutting off a 1.5" piece and bending it.  I suspect 100lb might be closer to the ticket for this.  I've got some 50lb mono on my catfish rigs.  I'll check that out if I have time in the shop today.  I think I might have some culling tags with 100lb mono, but I don't remember for sure.  I'll check those too.  Its a nice looking setup for sure. 

I am sure you guys know that mono weed guards have been done before (w.w.hook and others), and some guys quite like them.  I've also seen mono used as a "loop" type weedguard with both ends secure on the shank.  Those are great for shiner fishing in pencil tulies.  I have to admit I have not seen this exact use of mono before with it tied down to the hook, but mono weedguards are not new.  I am sure atleast some of you have used them before. 

FYI:  From everything I have read patent pending does not actually offer any protection.  The thing to do is file a provisional patent if you want to bring your product to market quickly, and then file for a full patent.  I am not a patent attorney, but I read up on things when I can. 

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff

2 minutes ago, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

I have 200lb black mono I use for slip rig duck decoys.  It seems limber, but try cutting off a 1.5" piece and bending it.  I suspect 100lb might be closer to the ticket for this.  I've got some 50lb mono on my catfish rigs.  I'll check that out if I have time in the shop today.  I think I might have some culling tags with 100lb mono, but I don't remember for sure.  I'll check those too.  Its a nice looking setup for sure. 

I found the weed wacker line to be like a light to medium weed guard.   Plus it's way cheaper than heavy mono, and you can find it at just about any hardware store or home center.  The first stuff I bought had a light blue tint,  and it worked, but I found some other that was clear, and that's what I use now.

Just thinking, I saw a patent application from the 60s that would seem to prevent every 3D eye we put on a hard bait.  But, seems we don't have an issue so far.

I have been doing that style of weed guard for 45 years on my bass flies, just tied the monofilament instead of using a slip piece of rubber.

Patents applied for don't seem to protect, as indicated by CNC, and enforcing patents seems pretty hard as well.

I am glad that for the most part I am a hobbyist.  I suspect that there is a patent for how I breath air, and a lawyer willing to sue me over it.  I know that someone has a patent application for just about everything else, including time travel (search it out).  ROFLOL

• Haha 2