Fishndooder

Advice Air Pockets In Senkos

Any advice would be much appreciated

I have this k-mold 5.25" injection senko style mold. I heat my plastic up in the microwave and inject each individual worm and top each off. 9 times out of 10 I'm getting a half inch to inch long air pocket in the worm which obviously is no good. Is it the style of the mold or something I'm doing wrong?image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

post-46435-0-76034000-1400356357_thumb.jpg

If you are injecting the mold it is really simple to see what the problem is, the mold has absolutley no venting. Scratch Awl or a triangular shaped jewlers file or mini file will do fine, you can buy the mini files and scratch awls at Lowes or Home Depot. The vents do not have to be very deep, make the vents on each side of the worm every 1/4" all the way down the length of the worm. As long as the vents are not too deep then there is no such thing as too many. Also put a vent coming straight out of the bottom of the tail. Looking at the mold, there is absolutley no where for the air to escape. When you inject do it slowley so the plastic has time to push the air out, even if you hand pour these I fear you wont get a quality worm without some sort of air encapsulation or incomplete worm. Proper venting will give you a quality product and production time will be cut in half. Also you only have to vent one half of the mold.

• Like 1

I had several of Bobs senko molds (identical to these) and poured the snot out of them, as far as my experience I had no issue with these pouring good Mike, poured a better worm than the 2 del mart molds of the same bait that I had at the same time. They are definitely not an injection mold. 

Like I said, hand pour it and top off the cavities as it sucks the plastic in (couple 3 times should be sufficient) and it should work out for you. 

Edited by DaveMc1

I have one of those molds and it works good with an injector.  I had the same problem but

discovered my plastic was not quite hot enough.  Once hot no problem.

Good call.  I'd forgotten about that.  I did very little injecting, but what little I DID do was with very hot plastic and had no problems.