MidTNKayakAngler

Epoxy Question

At least I know that I am not alone. I went as far as to add bifocals to my Sunglasses, for fishing. I never thought that I would have trouble feeding the line through the eye of a hook, but I was wrong. I have a half dozen CVS reading glasses and even some safety glass readers.

Don

In my experience the Dev con shouldnt be used on plastic bait repaints. It seems to crack and chip off very quickly. Not sure why but Im not the only builder that has this opinion. Its good stuff, just not for plastic/resin baits IMO. Auto clear is a good alternative for those baits, you already have the airbrush set up, probably just have to buy a new brush or tip just for the auto clear as it is a two part and can harden up pretty good in your gun. Etex or table top epoxies work well for resin/plastic baits tho. That is what i currently use on my resin baits with good results.  For wood I have been using a two part epoxy set up that has had great results. First coat is devcon two ton, which is very hard, but not very impact resistant, then I apply two or three thin coats of an E-tex type product. This gets the best of both worlds for me.

Another thing, make sure you allow ample cure time, not only between coats of epoxy, but let the paint cure FULLY. The paints I use I allow 72 hrs before epoxy. This has helped durabilty of the epoxy coat by giving it a well bonded medium to attach itself too. Good Luck, hope this kinda helps hahah kinda rambled a bit

Using heat set createx paints should one be waiting more then 8 hrs to do a second coat of etex? Another builder in Canada told me he waited 24hrs between coats but he could not support his statement that it was any stronger.

Edited by Centigrade

From rod building sites, I read that a recoat of epoxy within 24-36 hrs cures into a single coating.  In practical terms, the timing of successive coats has no effect on the strength of the epoxy.   It's more a matter of convenience and making sure the coats do not sag.

Jeremy,

If you are just going to make some baits for your own enjoyment, let me give you a suggestion. Just learn to use Devcon and forget it. I have been making baits for 14 yrs. I have been a member on here since it was created. There has been a TON OF STUFF listed and used on this site for clearcoating baits. NOTHING has beat Devcon yet. Don't worry about thinning it, heating it, the cost or the durability of it. Just use it. Learning how to apply Devcon is a skill. You have to practice at it. But once you do, you will be happy with the results. I had an article written in the tutorial section of this site on how I apply Devcon. However, it is no longer there. I don't know what happened to it.

Skeeter

I have building baits for several years. I have tried most every topcoat as well. With every pro and con factored in, there is no better topcoat IMHO. I'm settled on it.

Some of the resins you mentioned were not made with the idea of thin transparent coats that will be impact resistant. Some might work acceptably. Some have already been tried and proven. Clarity is a huge issue. The clear-coat can really make your paint job POP - or not. Not very long ago a new resin came to our attention - Art Resin. It is clearer by a fraction. But that fraction made a lot of tu members switch. I'm not saying you should use it. D2t and E-tex are probably better choices for you. My point is clarity. After all the effort put into learning and perfecting your hobby, when you make something really nice you want it to look its best and last. It would be a shame to ruin it with the last step.