Procraft01

Crankbait Machine

It sure seems to do the job!

I use angle grinders a lot, and having a wood cutting blade on one would scare the crap out of me!

Angle grinders are awesome.  I keep two in my service truck.  One has a diamond blade for cutting brick and stucco, and the other has a regular steel grinding disc.  In my work shop I have four of them hanging on the wall.  Three have different wire brushes, and one has a steel grinding disc.  I wish I had two more in the shop.  LOL.  Those little 4-1/2" grinders are pretty incredible.  

When I couldn't pay the rent, I had to move and throw all the machines that I had made away. I did make mistakes and so I hope to return to the project one day.

I thought about the half nuts for a quick return, but the saw cutter cut both directions and it was possible to reverse the motor (automotive wiper motor).

I hand carved my masters and glued them onto stainless steel rods. Changing masters was three bolts, so only a couple of minutes.

I never felt the need to do a stock feed mechanism and was happy with just trimming the stock pieces ready for the machine.

I held the stock with a home made clamp mechanism with two pins. Pressed into the wood and nipped up with an hex key bolt.

The main mistake I made was making the swing arms too long. These need to be kept relatively short, to keep any extraneous movements to a minimum.

Yes, wood masters, even with epoxy coating, do not last long, I would say a few hundred. If this is an issue if you want to make thousands, the best way is to cut a dozen or so, finish them and use as future masters. Keep the original safe until you need to cut more masters.

Dave

I guess I have too much time on my hands with the recovery...

A few things that I see in common on the machines the big producers use (at least the ones seen in videos on the web):

1. They use a disc saw to cut the wood. Apparently this is faster than a router

2. They have a continuous feed. They don't chuck up a short piece of wood. They cut the end of a longer board. I think this offers two efficiencies a) you cut to the very end of one side, B) You don;' have to cut and chuck up a new piece for each new lure.

3. They use motors, not tools like routers and angle grinders

4. The model they work off of is metal, all of them look like aluminum, maybe SS?

5. The guide that rides on the model have a wheel and bearing.

If I am going to produce wood cranks, I think one of these things is a necessity.

This is an interesting one:

http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Stephen_Ashcraft/media/fixedblade_zps2d40fa2c.jpg.html

It feeds the blank through the square tube. The saw does not rock. The blank spins and bounces to make the bait.

That must be an interesting machine.  Too bad there aren't more photos.

I am looking into making a crankbait duplicator that cuts baits from foam board with a hot wire (or rod, blade etc).

I tested with a make-shift hot wire cutter and it very well, albeit a little slow.

Any ideas of what to use for a cutting heated object?  I have seen hot wire cutters made with 110V. You run a 100W light bulb in the circuit. I wonder if it would allow me to use a thicker wire and cut faster?

Went for a drive the other day up to see Flash and got to check out his lure duplicator( absolutely brilliant )

After a quick chat and demo of how to work the machine he turned around and said well there is the timber there is the machine

You can have a crack at making your self some lure blanks if you would like (Awesome)he then left me to it while he went about doing some work for a neighbour I couldn't believe it

Thanks Flash your a true gentleman

Cheers

Trout tramp