gonebassin

Wood Swimbait

I use a product called Bullseye "shellac and sealer", comes in a spray can. I like it because it dries very quickly, maybe 15 mins. You can buy the stuff at Home Depot and various other hardware stores. It's not necessary, however, to seal the bait prior to testing. I test mine all the time without sealing them, just make sure you let the bait dry completely before putting on the seal. Keep in mind that the grain of the bait will raise when it gets wet so you may have to lightly sand to smoothe it out before sealing. Make sure you test the bait before finishing. It's very disappointing to do all the work only to find out it wont run... I know, I have a box of "misfits" in my shop.

You have a great start, keep up the work!

Jed

The Bullseye is only used to seal the bait BEFORE painting. After the paint you typically use some kind of epoxy to put a final protective finish on the bait. Guys here mostly use either Devcon Two Ton Epoxy which can be obtained at Wal-Mart or Enviro-tex Lite...another two part product. The Bullseye wood sealer is used to provide an additional "barrier" in the event water gets past the outer epoxy layer. Do a search in this forum to learn how to apply the Devcon and Envirotex.

Jed