diemai

Casting Reel Experiences Wanted , Please .

Hi , folks , 

I'm in need of another casting reel to try out a certain drift float rig on local seatrout in a small river .

A while ago I've come across a certain reel model issued by a local tackle company , ......by  their advertisment I've had the impression , that the reel design is new and designed by them , but now I've found , that it was an American company , that came out with it a while before .

Anyway , .....my question is , whether anybody has fished such a casting reel before employing this unusual "wave bar" line guide technology and would share his or her experiences in here , ......could you confirm all of the statements made in the advert , in particular about the better casting performance and fewer backlashes ?

Just like to have some opinions before I'd make up my mind for a purchase of such a reel , ...or better stick to a reel with a traditional line guide system , ..........here is the American site about such reels :

http://www.usreel.com/products/wavebartechnology.aspx

And here is the video of that local company , that I had come across at first :

Thanks a lot in advance for your opinions , ......greetings , diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai

get to know ur reel like its ur right arm..if casting right...then you can get what every reel you want and not have to worry about bird nesting ur reel....I stick with shimano..$200.00 bucks and under....but that's what I like...there all really good reels under that price..if your worried abut bird nesting...if not   I missed what your saying..

@ fishon-son

Thanks for reply , ......my intention was to possibly get some first hand info about whether the promises in the adverts are true or not , like fewer backlashes and especially further casting .

I'm not a rookie regarding casting reels ,........ I've got two ABU Cardinal's , one Shimano and one of another local brand named "Balzer" , and I surely know , how to use them , ........which might not be self-evident over here , at least not amongst fishermen of my own age .

During the past casting reels have not been commonly used in Germany , were even hardly available(during the 1990's I've mailordered my first one from the US) ,  but since 10 to 20 years they've become increasingly popular , provided , that they would sport the over here demanded left hand wind .

Surely you might not have heard about the DAM , as during their approx.140 years of company history they've never made it to step onto the US market , I suppose , .....but there have been business contacts between the DAM and Heddon during the 1920' and 1930's , as the DAM issued several Heddon lure models under their own name in Europe .

Just linked that DAM video for information , no English version available , .... not expecting anybody to understand that foreign language , though , ..... sometimes I also do watch fishing and tackle vids in foreign languages , often still enjoying them . 

If you'd be interested , ....here is the English version of the recent DAM catalog , one of Europe's most traditional tackle manufacturers :

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/f4cbb46a#/f4cbb46a/1

That particular reel is described on page 48 .

Greetings , 61diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai
  • Like 1

Well from the pics I looked up looks like a nice real... my experience with (bait casting reels) as I call them is pretty high I have about 6 of them right now and have had many more since I was a kid... I have a couple of cheaper quantom reels even which work just fine... the first thing I can say is know the weight of the lures you are casting and the more you use it the more you can give a short cast to get an idea of how a lure will cast so you can adjust the break a touch if you need to... the other thing is I pretty much only use Fireline type lines on all of them which when it "bird nests" is much easier to untangle and rarely gets in a knot that I can't get out very quickly. And I generally stick with the medium to the thicker side of the lines that the real is made for... for example most of my casting or pitching setups have around 14lb diameter which with fireline is like 40lb test give or take... rarely have break offs... if your looking for a reel that can cast most weights I would say the one you are looking at would probably do the job rather well just don't forget to match a rod to go with it... the longer they are the better the lighter stuff casts to me anyway. Hope it helps and good luck!

@ ROWINGADUBAY

Well , .......I see point in your stat about if such reel would be something special one would see more like it around , ...food for thought :? !

.......and regarding the ones on page 150 , .......too little capacity for my liking :lol: !

@ Griffond

Thanks a lot for all of your hints :worship:  , .....I'm already using "Fireline" and/or "Spiderwire Stealth Code Red" braid on my lurefishing reels , no matter what casting or spinning , ...just for the reasons , that you've mentioned .

I intend to mount that reel to an 8 feet "ABU Conolon" light casting rod sporting a casting weight of up to 30 grams , had this one laying around unused for years , .......probably I might purchase a 10 feet rod lateron , but these are very hard to find over here , .....at least with lower casting weights and fairly soft actions .

I intend to try a certain float rig in local rivers(off course I might also use the rod and reel for lure casting).

That rig roughly consists of a sliding float , set to approbiate depth with a stop knot up the main line , a piece of a thin monofilament break-off line with a lead weight chain on it's end and a mono or fluocarbon side arm leader twice as long as the break-off line .

The idea is to cast this rig into the river current having the lead chain slide along the bottom , slowing the rig down a bit as it would drift downstream(the chain lead would hardly snag up compared to a solid sinker) , ...... the leader above the break-off line would be baited with a nightcrawler worm or smaller earthworms and would drift down the river just a bit above the bottom , the float helps to keep the rig straightened out properly and acts as a bite indicator , off course .

A casting reel is much better suited for this method compared to a spinning reel because of it's freespool bar , ..with a spinning reel one would always have to open the bail to release line , and also close it prior to a hookset , ......pretty much inconvinient , I'd say !

The other day I've met a fellow fisherman at the bank , he was just casting this very rig for seatrout on a homemade 10 feet casting rod , ...he did not beat about the bush with this rig , ...and now I'm pretty keen to try it for myself , .......he did not catch any seatrout that day , as they are still quite rare around here , but at least he landed three plaice on this rig .

I see advantage in this method , because one can also fish this rig during local closing time , when the use of any lures is restricted ,...... and still search a big stretch of water actively compared to stationary bottom sinker rigs .

Probably sucha "Wave Bar" casting reel might not be neccessary for this rig , ...but I must admit , that I'm eager to try such reel , .....nevertheless I'm keeping an eye on offers of "ordinary" casting reels on local Ebay .

Greetings , Dieter :yay:

I've seen these reels advertised Dieter, but don't know of anyone that has actually used one. They've been around for at least a couple years that I know of and not hearing any comments about it might speak more about the reel than anything. I've got a couple friends who fish professionally and will ask them if they know anything about it the next time I talk to them.

Ben

@ Rayburn Guy

You've just spawned my idea to do some googling on such reels , Ben , ........came up with some results :

http://www.chattanoogafishingforum.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=64269&posts=4

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/119557-us-reels/

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/128615/u-s-reel-hibdon-supercaster-800sx-baitcasting-reel-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=submissionTime&dir=asc

OK , ...a lot of folks are obviously satisfied with this different piece of reel technology , ...but it also makes me think , that some are talking 'bout having purchased such reels on sales , ...looks to me , that the reel just did not sell like hot cake at it's original price , .......also the fact , that is obviously still a bit uncommon and unknown after a few years of first issue , makes me think , .......you're darn right with your statement , Ben .

I'm also reading about difficulties directly resulting from the "Wave Bar" , ..... like uneven winding and also the need of certain line diametres and/or lure weights .

All in all I must say , that all of these comments and stats there are starting to put me off on investing into such reel , ...as I assume , that the German DAM model would origin from the same Chinese stable like the USreels discussed in those forums linked above .

Anyway , Ben , .....if you'd remember , just ask your friends when you'd catch up with them , ......may get too late for me , 'cause I think that my descision has just been made , .....but maybe to help other fellow fishermen facing the same problem like myself  , as this particular TU thread appeared at first page of Google search results as well !

Thanks for chiming in , Ben , ......greetings , Dieter :yay:

My pleasure Dieter. I tried calling one of the friends who fishes professionally and couldn't get in touch with him. Left a message so hopefully he'll call me back sooner than later. All those guys that fish B.A.S.S. and the FLW circuits know each other so I feel reasonably sure if anyone has tried them he will have heard about it.

Are the ABU reels available to you locally? I've been a die hard ABU fan since I bought my first bait caster. Not sure about over there, but over here parts are relatively easy to come by and that means a lot to me. It doesn't matter how good a reel you purchase if you have to send it "to the shop" to be worked on then it's not doing you one bit of good when you can't use it. They make a lot of good reels these days, but back when I bought my first bait caster there wasn't such a large selection and ABU was one of the best. If not the best.

As soon as I can find out anything about the US Reel I'll let you know. :yay:

Ben

@ Rayburn Guy

Thanks a bunch for your efforts , Ben ,  ..maybe we'd get some sort of info from your friends ?

Talking ABU , ...at first I need to apologize , I've mixed up the reel model names in my post above ,... ..I do not have any "ABU Cardinal " reel(which is their wellknown spinning reel with the distinctive drag knob positioned at the rear bottom of the reel housing) , but two "ABU Ambassadeurs"(these are their famous casting reels) .

The ABU reel line is widely available ober here, also older collector's reels frequently appear on local Ebay , even seeing them on fleamarkets occassionally .

Regarding maintainance or customer service , I can't really tell other than in Germany it is rather poor compared to the USA , ...do not know about ABU specificly , though .

Often one's gotta wait for weeks and months for spares , regarding various discussions on local forums .

Recently there has been a thread of someone saying that he wanted to order for some spareparts for four "DAIWA Saltiga" reels(high end saltwater spinning reels) to refurbish the reels at home .

DAIWA Germany replied to his tackle dealer , whom had requested the spares , that the parts would not be delivered , but can be assembled , if the reels would be sent to DAIWA for maintainance !

Just one of the examples , why Germans often call their country to be a "service desert" .

Anyway , ...if you're an ABU fan , you might have a look in here , pretty interesting to me , just like any of the world's famous tackle companies histories :

Greetings , Dieter :yay:

Edited by diemai

I know what you mean Dieter. I'm a sucker for most anything dealing with history. Seeing how such a large company grew out of such humble beginnings, and the adversity they faced along the way, can be inspiring to say the least.

Ben

Ben , .......looks like both of us really have something in common , .....YouTube history documentaries are often deducting from my sleeping hours at night :lol:  , .........greetz , Dieter :yay:  

I had never seen this wave bar before this thread. I can see an advantage to extend casting distance if the reels have the same technology in the spool and bearings as other high end reels. But I must say I am leery about how it will spool the line evenly on the spool in all conditions. Example, reel not perfectly level, high wind conditions as found on open coastal waters, ect ect.

I have the Hibdon model and really like it.A buddy of mine who pitches a lot of jigs loves his because it casts so much smoother.Mine hasn't given me any trouble...I'd buy another one.Funny thing though....The maker is called US real ...But I think the parts are made In China and it is assembled in the US....Nathan

I used the US Reels and loved them. They do increase cast distance. My opinion of why they didn't sell well was that they were a little heavier and a little bigger than what the market is looking for. A lot of people didn't trust the technology...but the technology was great... They didn't fair well with the salt crowd mostly because of corrosion issues, although their salt 1 held up fine with maintenance similar to all my other reels. however, the salt 1 (US Reels) came stock with a huge toque handle and that didn't attract the lure style fisherman like most of the saltwater community is for that category baitcasting reel. I still have the reel and can probably cast 5 - 10 yards farther with it than others. 

If someone was to use the wavebar technonology in a low profile (sim to lews, or shimano 50series baitcaster) that was in the 5oz range, and was made with quality components that held up to saltwater I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. 

Did they reduce backlash... maybe only slightly. Once you have an errant overrun...it's hard to stop. Certainly didn't backlash more than other brands....maybe a little less. 

The market is very smart and will wait and see others opinions before jumping on new technology. I wish I understood german LOL

I think we haven't seen these in the states because the original owner of the technology had a patent for the US...at least that is my guess. 

Thanks a lot for chiming in , guys , ........finally some positive feedback on that technology .

But now I'd have to think over my decision against that wave bar reel again :lol: ,....... heading for our largest local tackleshop this morning , ........well , gonna see , what they've got there . 

@TroutSupport.com

Regarding the DAM reels , .....I think , that they had never attempted much  to join the US tackle market , just too many competitors there , but I know about DAM vintage lures made in cooperation with Heddon prior to World War 2 , ......a few Heddon models were available over here under the DAM brand .

On occassion I've also seen DAM vintage reels on US Ebay , I assume , that these were brought across the Great Pond by US military staff  returning home , ......probably just like this 1960's vintage crankbait :

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/honest-angler/2012/08/vintage-tackle-contest-dam-wobbler

Thanks a lot again for your opinions , .....greetz , Dieter :yay:

I honestly would not even think about the reel and move on.  Bass anglers are the most superstitious group willing to try anything to give them a one up or unique item.  We throw a lot of money around on gimmicks and crazy things.    It should be telling that you can find such little information on something I remember from years ago. 

I used one for a few casts and can say I have bought dozens of bait casters since and not a one was one of them.  Too many other reels (perhaps not the same price class) perform better in my opinion but a few casts doesn't exactly meet any real definition of use.  

Edited by Travis

Hey Dieter can't you just get your hands on a Abu Garcia Ambassador I mean they've been around forever and they are a solid reel for fishing or a Penn. 

I've already got two Ambassadeurs , ......I wanted a small low profile reel .

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

@ Travis

Thanks a lot for your opinions as well , .......yesterday at the tackle store my decision has been made , .......with the help of the missus and also the salesman :D !

To get a little impression , ......here a video of that shop , not as big as American superstores by far , though ,  but it is the largest one in entire northern Germany , about 45 miles northwest from my hometown :

Well , they've had that DAM wave bar reel laying for display on their desk , ...also some more expensive Shimanos and an ABU Black Max .

I've had the Black Max in mind before , but still asked the salesman about the new wave bar technology of the DAM , .....but I've figured out , that he did somehow hum and haw about that reel  , obviously was also not feeling too keen about it .

But(as usual) the missus behind me had the final say , .....as the Black Max's offer was quite a bit cheaper than the DAM , .......and in the aftermath I'm pretty much satisfied , as for not that much more money that I would have had to lay for the DAM reel alone I still took a 10 feet casting rod , 20-50 grams lure weight ,  home ,  together with the Black Max reel , .......and the missus wasn't even too mad about it :lol:  , .........guess , that this longer rod is much better suited for the intended purpose than the old 8 footer , that I still have laying around . 

.......but sometimes I'm wondering , .....just a little bit ,..... whether my wife is not right , when always saying , that I would surely have enough fishing tackle and lures by now , ..........only sometimes , ....and just a little bit :lol:  :lol:  :lol: !

Thanks a lot again for posting , guys :worship:  :worship:  :worship:  , ....much appreciated , ....greetz , Dieter :yay:

"when always saying , that I would surely have enough fishing tackle and lures by now"

You can never have too much tackle Dieter. :D:lol::D

Ben

I know , Ben , .......but the missus surely doesn't :lol:  :lol: !

Greetz , Dieter :yay: