Silo1688

Stanford Lures

I was watching the Stanford Lures you-tube videos and it looks like the lures are mass produced.  It looks like they have a dowel at the tail.  I'm thinking some kind of wooden replicator like I've seen other guys use.   But then I'm not sure because I'm not seeing any attachment on the nose (unless they sand it down).

I emailed Stanford Lures about a week ago asking about this and I never heard back.  No surprise, but it still has my curiosity.

"Stanford Lures - How a Hand Made Bass Lure is Made"

Anyway, if someone could shed light on this it would be great.

Yeah, obviously they use some kind of gang replicator to shape the lures.  They are cedar so it doesn't really matter if the tail extension is a dowel or not - but I don't think it is - probably the tail left over from the gang replicator operation and they leave it on there because it's a neat way to mount them for painting.  I've taken the tail hanger out of a Stanford lure and stripped it down for repainting and didn't see a dowel.

"it's pretty cool how they paint the scale pattern, sure beat the way I did it."

That is just a real quick down and dirty way to shoot it. Having those baits that close together and shooting them that fast is just causing overspray on everything. I don't care how good the painter is. Throw in some sticker eyes and an ok clearcoat and there you go.

The bodies are not gang cut. They use a machine similar to Zoom. I have seen it. However, I really like the way that they cut their lip slots. Pretty good.

Skeeter

Ok guys ......those are finish nails that the baits are on......they are cut one at a time on screw machine........built by sisson........and you can shoot the netting on them that close without overspray........been doing it for close to 20 years this way........a lot of the overspray you are seeing dissolves when you dip it in the topcoat.........Dieter and I use the same system........

• Like 1

Ok guys ......those are finish nails that the baits are on......they are cut one at a time on screw machine........built by sisson........and you can shoot the netting on them that close without overspray........been doing it for close to 20 years this way........a lot of the overspray you are seeing dissolves when you dip it in the topcoat.........Dieter and I use the same system........

You Da Man!!! :worship:  :worship:  :worship:

do you know that the name if that machine that sisson makes? I would like to possibly purchase one. I looked online and is that company's name Sisson Engineering?  I even saw a hit under a guy by the name of Green Sisson who does lathe and turning machine apprenticeships.  Any help would be appreciated. 

SigEp George,

The machine that they are talking about in the post was made by Vaughn Sisson. I spoke to his brother Lee about the machine at the 2004 Bassmasters Classic show. In 2003 the machine went for 21,000 dollars. Then you use to pay 3,500 bucks for Vaughn to show up and teach you how to use it. I believe it was Heddon that bought two of them and did not pay to have Vaughn come show them how to use it. After 3 weeks of messing with it they threw in the towel and bought a plane ticket for Vaughn. Rapala has a machine as big as a dumpster that takes two balsa 2x4 boards and runs them through at the same time. ZOOM, Stanford, Thunder Shad and On The Line are just a few companies that use machines to cut their bodies. I am really not sure if Vaughn made those machines, but  I have seen how some of these things work. According to Lee, Vaughn wasn't going to make the machines much longer. He said that he had 2 kids left to send to college and then he was going to quit making them.

sonoman,

Most manufactures use either UV cured, clear lacquers, MCU, or car clears with flex additives to clearcoat their lures. The hardest clear I have ever used was a moisture cured urethane (MCU) from Dick Nite back in 2000. It is not the same stuff that folks are getting now. Dick had a chemist that made the stuff for him. But, a manufacturer that made one of the ingredients quit making what ever it was and Dick had to change the formula. You could thin it and spray the stuff through an airbrush. It was gin clear and bullet proof. You could handle and fish the lure within 2 days. But, it took 4 weeks to fully cure. At least here at my house it did. I made a test bait and tested the clear every day for hardness. For over 3 weeks I could crease the clearcoat with my finger nail. 

Another impressive clearcoat was on the H&T lures that were made by Jeff Thompson and painted by Tim Hughes.  The people at Tackle Tour casted one of their baits straight up into the air twice and let it slam onto the concrete. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewhandtcrankpg2.html  All I got to say is: "Impressive". I don't believe that one of my baits could survive that test. I have never seen TT do that with any other crankbait that they have reviewed. I wonder what a Lucky Craft, Deps, Megabass, Stanford, Brian Bee, Caro, or a Roman Made crank would look like. One of our own beat them all. :yay:

Hope this answers some questions.

Skeeter

if the product on the video was a MCU  wouldn't it want to cure the way they presented it?, I generally spray automotive clears or use epoxy for my finish coats so I  havent any experience with that particular product, I  saw a video on the fella that builds the AC  shiners and he had the same set up as the Stanford crankbait facility so there must be something to it.

Skeeter they show the product in a rectangular box with a hinged lid on several of the commercial lure mfgs videos that are out there, open the lid , dip multiple baits and set them to dry somewhere....if in fact the product in the box was an MCU would it not want to harden?...esp since everyone that uses that stuff talks about how hard it is to keep, so much so that bloxygen is sold to aid in keeping it liquid....still love to know exactly what product that is.

I honestly don't know brother. I would think that MCU will stay liquid for some time before it hardens. I would imagine that they just pour and use what they need. For 14 years I have just used Devcon. I am obviously happy with the results. All of this extra stuff and worry with other clearcoats is just too much hassle for me. However, I don't mass produce baits.

Skeeter

• Like 1

That set up definately has my interest and its not for my personal stuff because I prefer the Devcon results as well, but I  do make quite a few lures at a time when I do actually make them ...lol, just be quick and easy, I'm sure someone will come along and enlighten us...Thanks