blackjack

Epoxy question???

I already use the heat lamp trick!! Great idea it is killer for speeding things up some, What I am really looking for is to get the last coat of clear just a little harder than the initial coat. Kinda like musky proofing the lure. The clear I'm using is definetly a great finish just looking for a little bit harder and it will be perfect!! Thanks guys for the advice. I'm gonna try it on some of my personal lures before I get it into the production phase!!

From what I have read on all types of epoxies, extra hardner does nothing. Most folks have tried extra hardner to get it to cure quicker. I never thought of it actually making the finish harder. But looking at allot of different sites for epoxies and reading the FAQ, manufacturers say that extra hardner serves no purpose except to waste hardner. The resin is where the toughness is. The hardner only heats it to cure it.

Skeeter

It could be a possibility, but it is kinda hard to get the mixture wrong with the double syringe. A drop or two is not going to make a difference. I have experienced yellowing with the 5 min. epoxy. But in almost 4 yrs. I have never seen the long cure Devcon yellow. I really don't know how this could be happening to some.

Skeeter

Hey fellas,

I think I may have stumbled onto an answer about the devcon 2ton yellowing.

I've attached a photo of one of my earlier lures that shows an area on the lure that yellowed. I shoot waterbased acrylic paint and topcoat with 2ton. The difference on this lure is that I brushed clear lacquer on the gill plates to fill in the crevices before topcoating. This was done to counter-act cratering. I allowed the clear lacquer to dry overnite before topcoating. The lure is about 6 months old and clearly shows yellowing where the lacquer was applied. I'm thinking devcon is not compatable with lacquer as all my acylic painted lures are still crystal clear.

Tight lines,

Shawn

devcon_discolor.jpg

devcon_discolor.jpg

devcon_discolor.jpg

devcon_discolor.jpg

devcon_discolor.jpg

devcon_discolor.jpg

devcon_discolor.jpg

devcon_discolor.jpg

775_thumb.attach

Artbrush,

You may be on to some thing because back when I used Devcon, I was only using lacquer paints.

Glad some one with a camera , has gotten a photo of the yellowing up.

Was thinking you guys thought we were nuts, or conversly you guys were going color blind.hehehe

Artbrush,

You may be on to some thing because back when I used Devcon, I was only using lacquer paints.

Glad some one with a camera , has gotten a photo of the yellowing up.

Was thinking you guys thought we were nuts, or conversly you guys were going color blind.hehehe

I haven't brought this up as I don't want to get into the Devcon/Etex spat again but some of you might remember the Devcon bait I put in my truck window? Well, it's been more than 90 degrees here each day now for weeks and the bait is sitting directly in the sun. The bait has been there for about 6 weeks, maybe longer? The bait has a paper-photo finish and neither the paper or the Devcon have yellowed in the slightest way. I might add that a orange colored brochure I had sitting beside it was nearly white in two weeks!

I phoned Devcon several weeks ago and spoke with one of their techs. He explained from his experience that Devcon will yellow over time but that it would be very slight, not enough to destroy the bait. When I asked him "how long will the stuff last?", he told me it should last indefinitely as it essentially turns to a plastic once cured.

Jed

As usual I have to throw a wrench in the gears here. I shoot alot of acrylic lacquer and have yet to see yellowing. I see what you guys are talking about. That is some serious yellowing on the bait. I have never seen anything like it. What I am wondering is if the heat caused from the harder in the epoxy caused just the lacquer clear to yellow. I have never experienced problems with colors. The baits that I did over the winter with the Urathane Clear were clearcoated over with Devcon. I didn't sand or do any prep work at all. Just went over the Urathane coating with the Devcon and I have seen no yellowing as of yet. However, I have seen some separation of the Urathane from the paint. It still has not effected the Devcon in any way.

Skeeter

Skeeter,

that might not be a wrench but perhaps a little closer to finding out why that's happening. I've only had the yellowing happen while working with clear nail lacquer. Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. I'm not sure if thats enamel or acrylic based lacquer.

Tight lines,

Shawn

That's wierd, because 10 yrs. ago I bought the same Hard as Nails to recoat some wraps on an old fishing rod. I also used it to coat an old Zara Spook that was painted with some acrylic pearl craft paint. I still have the lure and it has never chipped or yellowed in all of these years. I'm not sure what it is either, but most of this type of stuff that I have checked out is acrylic lacquer.

Skeeter