Brent R

Spro Popping Frogs

I throw the popping frog a lot in the weeds, and it catches fish.  We don't have lilly pads here in SoCal, so I can't help you with that.

I throw it beyond the weeds, and walk it back to the weed line.  I usually get bit there on the inside edge, if they're on that edge.  If not, I work it across the weeds in slow pulls and shakes, to give the fish time to find it.  If I don't get bit by the time I get to the outside edge, I pause there on the weeds, shake it for five seconds or so, and then start a chug, chug retrieve away from the weeds and back to the boat.

I like it in open water parallel to the inside or outside weed edge, too.  I can walk it slowly, and mix in a couple of chugs when I get tired of walking it.

I find that the popping frog walks really well, too.

I throw mostly white, and sometimes black.

I'm not new to frog fishing. But when the frog gets on top of a pad it's like it creates a suction on the pads. To Mark.....Do you put a split ring on the bait to get it to walk. When i was fishing it the other day i couldn't get it to walk very well. I don't have any problems getting other baits to walk. 

Thanks guy's for all the info.

I never used the popper version either... I've had the normal one stick on pads thou here in minnesota especially on hot dry sunny days with no breeze... the tops of the pads get kinda dry add a wet lure to the top and they can hang up a bit... never anything real bad... (fireline fixes all snags lol) perhaps you could try tweaking the line attachment up a bit... I'm gonna have to buy one now just to see what happens lol

Some attractants are a bit oily, so that might help make your frog slicker.  I've even heard of guys spraying baits with Pam, or a similar type of cooking spray.  I'm not great at walking a frog either.  There are some good articles and videos out there that can help.  Trimming the legs properly is a good place to start.  The agreed upon technique seems to be to walk it on a slack line.  Your really popping your slack, more than actually twitching the frog itself.

I'm not new to frog fishing. But when the frog gets on top of a pad it's like it creates a suction on the pads. To Mark.....Do you put a split ring on the bait to get it to walk. When i was fishing it the other day i couldn't get it to walk very well. I don't have any problems getting other baits to walk. 

Thanks guy's for all the info.

Brent,

I tie directly, braid to frog hook eye.  I never thought about adding a split ring.  Hmmm.....

Like Hawgfan said, trimming the legs is the key.  The shorter the legs, the easier it is to walk, but it's a tradeoff.  It's like adding a feathered treble to a sammie.  Leave the feathers too long, and it won't walk.

I usually leave them between 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" long.  I have a pair of scissors in the boat, to trim them more if I need to. 

Some guys think making the two sides different length helps them walk, but i don't bother.

If you go to http://www.westernbass.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=71 and look for videos from Bobby Barrack, he is the frog fishing guru.  He may have some on ebay, too.

Edited by mark poulson

Never used the Spro popper frog but I have grown to love the Spro KingDaddy frog. IT'S HUGE!!Top water frog fishing is the best way to catch spawning bass IMO. They can't stand it!! Never had a problem with the frogs sticking to pads before but I don't get to fish pads very much, mostly grass and cypress tree roots and knees. I would try and find something like a chapstick style lure scent and rub it on the belly of your frog.... or you could try some Turtle Wax..LOL

If you think slicking up the frog would help, I recommend Kickn' Bass attractant.  It's a liquid based on pure fish oil with several scents available.  I'd choose the anise flavor because it's a mild attractive scent.  The garlic scent is like smelling salts - it will kick you head back!  I use KNB on plastic baits both for the scent and for the lubricating effect - it stays on the bait better than anything else I've tried. 

Bob. I've never used that brand, but i have used Bang Anise. When i  had my tackle shop i told my customers that if they bought it and didn't like it i would buy it back. I never had one person bring it back.

Thanks for your help.