JBlaze

Fixed Blade Jig

Hey Mark, it,s not just on your behalf, although I do want you to see it. It is just so frustating for me when I do something and can't get it to work.

I hope someone besides gonfishn is able to see it. I would like some feedback on its action. This is a new one for me. I will get it posted one somehow. 

Thanks Mark

The action looks nice! There are some other jigs on the market that have a built in wobble, I can't recall what they are at the moment but I can look and see what I have at home.

How do I know this? I was thinking of doing a similar thing but I came up with a different design. Here is a link to a Youtube video of our jig. We can modify the action fairly easily but we haven't decided what we will do with it.

I will see if I can find some of those other lip jigs at home - the ones that are commercially available.

Pete

Guys, if you’re looking for Hydro-Silk skirts, I know a gentleman who’s selling his old stock. He’s not computer savvy so he’s selling them locally by word of mouth. I have no information regarding quantity, colors, pricing, but I can look into it if anyone is interested.

Psilvers, that looks  good. Have you caught anything on it? I suppose you don't want to show a close-up of the jig itself. Just curious, what does it weigh and will it stay down deep or is it a shallow running jig?

Thanks for showing it.

John

John,

At this point I do want to hold off on posting a close up of the head. Sorry, I didn't mean to be a tease. However, it is substantially different from your jig.

I can make them in various sizes from 1/4 to 1 oz. Larger sizes will also be possible. The jig is more of a shallow running jig than a deep jig, but I am also speaking from the perspective of a guy who has a lot of experience fishing saltwater and more limited experience with freshwater fishing.

That being said, since I am currently living in Kansas I have been testing the jigs out locally and they have been pretty effective. They have caught largemouth and smallmouth bass, crappie, hybrid striped bass and white bass. I have even caught a channel cat on one!

I have been trying to make one that will work at pretty high speeds - and that has been more problematic. I am talking at trolling speeds of 7-10 knots. A buddy of mine runs charters on the Alabama coast and he has been testing them. However, the ones that run at slower speeds run great.

Pete

Pete, I do understand, and I do not feel like it is a tease. It's yours to do with as you please. There are plenty of us who would try to make one for ourselves if we saw it and I really feel that there are some big unscrupulous companies that would take a little mans unique and/or different idea and claim it as their own.

Most of what I have seen over the years in lure design is a modification of or a variation of what someone else has already made and an attempt to make it better (I include myself in this statement).

I consider myself a lure tinkerer and I have come up with a couple of designs that are so different that I consider them totally my own and no one gets to see them but a select few that I trust completely . Actually there are three of them. A spinner bait that in my opinion, is one of the best slow rolling baits around and I base that statement on the feed back that I have gotten from the fishermen that have used it.

I think I posted it back in January of 2007. It is called a pivot point spinner bait. I started making it a year earlier and debated for a long time before showing it.

Maybe I am wrong about the big companies, or maybe it isn't as good as I think it is :nuhuh: but as far as I know the idea has not been stolen yet.

The other two lures are a jig and a crank bait. There is nothing that I have been able to find that is anything like these two.

I, like you do not know what I am going to do with them. Right now it is just personal satisfaction in developing something that is so called, out of the box.

In less than a year, God willing, I plan on retiring and hopefully will have plenty of time to think about these.

I would be willing to bet that there are many ingenious ideas and lures lying around in man-caves that have not been shown because of feelings like mine.

I guess I got a little off the subject here but when I start writing, the thoughts that are in my mind just come out.

Anyway, Good luck and best wishes with whatever you decide to do with your jig and thanks for showing the video just seeing it is enough to make me try to make one which has such a smooth movement as yours.

John

Edited by JBlaze

John - Thanks for the kind words. I have been thinking about going the patent route and that requires that the design not be made public. I would not worry so much about other fishermen on TU, but rather about the big companies. They are often run by people who only look at the bottom line.

I am a scientist and I do like to experiment with different designs. It lets me be creative, yet there is no pressure to produce a paper or get a grant. If a lure does not work it is no big deal!

Be careful with the stuff that is unique and do not post the design on public boards. Doing so will damage your ability to patent the idea. That being said, the patent process is not inexpensive.

Good luck with your lures!

Pete

Pete, you're welcome. You are right,  Even the initial filing fees are not cheap and there is no guarantee that it will be approved and if it was, there are yearly fees for the life of the patent and on top of that you would need money to defend it should someone try to violate that patent. So for a small entity with a medial income such as myself, I don't think a patent is an option. I also understand that the poor boy patent (put pics, drawings and all info pertaining to the invention/idea in an envelope and send it to yourself by registered/certified mail and do not open it) is virtually worthless also. 

Thanks for the good advice and well wishes. Hope to see yours on the market one day.

John

Hello my friends, time for an update on the fixed blade jig. I have taken it out to test it several times now and have caught 3 fish and lost three fish on it, none of them were anything to brag about..

I now have four sizes of this jig 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1oz..  I have a few friends whom are in my opinion local pros and I showed them the jigs and video, all of them think they will catch bass, and willing took a few to try. When I hear something from them I will post again.

John