fishnart

In Ref To The Topic Posted "epoxy Issues, Pls Help"

I have a couple of follow up questions fellow lure makers. I put my epoxy on in my basement, cool and probably a little damp. I hang mine, don't have a turner. I turn my own until it sets up and don't have too many issues with sags. What I do have issue's with from time to time is baits that don't totally cure and are sticky.  

What I want to get straight for myself first has to do with temp. I think my basement is probably right around 70, I plan to check, but do you think it would help if I put a portable heater (on low) close to my baits just to raise the temp a bit?

I get the mixing part, I need to make sure I mix it well also.

Now, my main question. I always take a chance and eyeball the amount of parts in the cups prior to mixing and nine times out of ten get it right. I'm thinking of getting a set of scales, does mixing equal amounts of DC2, by weight, work? I mean is that what you're really supposed to be doing?

Thank you so much for reading and taking time to reply to my post. I too love this forum. I don't get on as much as I'd like but it's a great forum! Everyone keep up the great work, you guys and gals are some great artists!

I've tried the "eyeball" method.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.  It's not worth the risk.  The best way to measure is by volume, not weight.  Use syringes.  Mark one for resin, one for hardener, and they'll last forever.  If there is a store near you that sells farm supplies, they'll have an assortment of sizes.   I'm sure there are many sources, and they're very inexpensive.  I like the 3cc type. 3cc's of each will do a heavy coat of epoxy on about 4 bass baits, and that's all you have time for with Devcon.  You'll soon be able to judge pretty closely what you'll need, and have little waste.  A large syringe will have less resolution in your measuring.  Don't get one so fat it won't fit in the bottle either.

If your getting sticky baits using Devcon2Ton epoxy you probably aren't mixing it well enough.Devcon is pretty forgiving compared to most when it comes to ratios...( you need to be close) Mix it well from the bottom and sides...I'll then add a few drops ( from a eye dropper) of denatured alcohol to it and mix a bit more

As for the temp...70 degrees should be just fine but a bit warmer couldn't hurt...Nathan

I'm not sure about Devcon, but Bob Smith epoxies have a warning on the bottle that says their epoxy must be cured at 70 degrees or above. Above is better IMO. I believe there was a post not long ago about epoxies and the adverse effect high humidity has on them as well. Can't remember offhand exactly what it was, but you might try doing a search of the archives.

When mixing the epoxy be sure to wipe down the sides of the container with whatever your using as a mixing stick to incorporate it back into the mix. And like Nate said epoxies are usually fairly forgiving to the mixing ratio. I use the plastic medicine cups that have the graduated marks on the side. You can get them at most pharmacies and they are relatively cheap.

Ben

I started using dollar store plastic picnic spoons to measure out equal parts of epoxy, one for resin the other for hardener. It is really easy to fill them with the same amounts by eye and then I put them both right into a dollar store plastic shot glass and let them empty for a couple of minutes, them give it a good stir with a Popsicle stick for a couple more minutes and Bobs your uncle. Then after I am done it's all tossed in the garbage. No dust boogers, no cross contamination and no clean up, just a clear glossy finish every time.

Edited by Jdeee

Maybe there's a temperature at which epoxy won't harden but I've finished baits in a 50 degree garage with no problem.  Yes, colder means longer cure time.  I used to pour 2 equal sized pools of D2T and mix them.  It works OK if you're working at room temp but in a cold room the resin is higher in viscosity than the hardener, so getting equal pools is difficult.  Eventually, I started using epoxy syringes to measure it.  Why not be certain?  And I mix the heck out of the stuff before brushing it on.  Devcon seems to be somewhat forgiving about measuring but I think poorly measured epoxy is more likely to yellow more quickly over time.

You can get your D2T in the syringe container, and not have to worry about measuring.  I've used it this way with good results.  I usually mix in disposable aluminum epoxy pans.  I press a quarter sized indention in the bottom, which makes it easier to keep small amounts contained.  That helps a lot with what RayburnGuy was saying about incorporating everything into the mix.  I spray epoxy stripper into the pan when i'm finished, and use it to clean the pan and my brush.  Some use disposable brushes.  An option to buying the pans, that was mentioned on here recently, is to use the bottom of empty soda/beer cans.  It the perfect shape and size.  I wish I'd thought of that!