WART_HAWG

Removing Paint From Plastic Crankbaits

OK, I'm not sure what that is hahaha, what is it and how does it work. You're trying to strip paint off of a bait to repaint it? I just spray a coat of white primer over them. Sometimes I scuff them up a little depending on the bait and then just paint away. Never had any issue's doing it this way

It's a little 1ft (cubed) sandblaster. I couldn't pass it up for that price.

I want to be able to keep weight as close to OEM as possible when doing repaints.

Plus this thing has to be fun to use. I'll try to post some video of it in action or something when I strip a bait.

Edited by WART_HAWG

I have no idea how it works but WOW it does... I read this a few days ago and grabbed my spare brake fluid and threw a Rapala Rattlin Rap and a Scatter Rap in there since I never use them... The Scatter Rap since its balsa removed the paint but welted the body but the plastic Rattlin Rap worked fantactic... Its down to bare white plastic.

• Like 1

Good response Rickimaro....a little detail on what brake fluid does to a lure makes all the difference.  I'm gonna soak a few plastic lures and see how it goes.  Also looking at soda blasting to clean lures....anyone have any details on how  well it works and what's needed to get started .....on a budget? 

Edited by boisarc

Mark, I just put them in like a 1 quart bottle with a good lid and a few ounces of brake fluid and just shake em up a lil ever time I  walk by, it generally only takes a day or so for all of the finish to be gone...obviously this only works for plastic baits, so far I have only had it eat up 1 bait and it wasn't a good one, so it wasn't an issue....wash them really well in Dawn dishwashing liquid a few times and you have a blank that is ready for paint.

• Like 1

Outstanding responses here....I've been looking for a good way to strip old lures for months.  I have an old blast cabinet and I think I'm gonna spend a few bucks on the eastwood gun bass100 referenced.  Brake fluid method is already in process....thanks to Sonoman for the details.  If I can't strip a bait with one of these two methods it's not worth the trouble.

• Like 1

I tried the brake fluid method first.  I put a few old Norman lures and a few newer Academy lures into a coffee can filled with brake fluid and then put the lid on the can. Two days later ...nothing on the Academy lures but the Norman lures were losing their clearcoat.  At four days the Norman lures were almost ready the Academy lures were just beginning to lose the clearcoat.  After a week the Norman lures were easy to clean...just wiped them with a clean paper towel and the paint came off.  The Academy lures still had paint and clear  that wouldn't come off.  Ten days and the Academy lures were ready to be wiped down.  There's still some kind of white film on the Academy lures. One of the Norman lures got soft and was ruined. With some practice this could work.  Next up ....Soda Blasting.  Gotta go to Northern and get the media everything else is good to go.  More later 

I bought a paasche air eraser that works great- it will take the media supplied for it(3 different grades)or baking soda- does a good job- made a small blast box to use it inside of and you can screen your used media and save quite a bit-  more than I figured- just try not to let the soda get too much moisture in it because it starts to ball up and chunks wont do good!!

• Like 1

I bought a paasche air eraser that works great- it will take the media supplied for it(3 different grades)or baking soda- does a good job- made a small blast box to use it inside of and you can screen your used media and save quite a bit-  more than I figured- just try not to let the soda get too much moisture in it because it starts to ball up and chunks wont do good!!

What air pressure do you need for this to work?