NebraskaBoy

Harden Plaster Of Paris

sounds like you need to make a bigger base?  Think of a brick and the mold is in the middle.....after you have the mold people often coat it with decopodge or a diluted white glue and water mixture to seal it, probably adds some strength too.  There is a similar stuff to plaster I have seen, don't remember the name the the can is red and on the front is a cartoon looking guy flexing his muscles.  One of the benefits of p.o.p. is the low price, if you get into the other/similar things you can use your cost will go up a lot imo.  search plaster of paris on amazon and you will find many similar products, then compare prices etc.

The other is DWP (Durhams Water Putty)... I use it, never used POP so can't compare the 2... But also got some RTV rubber and its incredible (so is the price)!!... Down to the FINEST detail! Even the grit from 320 sand paper I used on the master shows up on my baits

If you don't want to use the best method for inexpensive, long lasting mold making which is Fiberglass then use Durham's Water Putty but with-out the water. Use catalyzed polyester resin (fiberglass resin) in place of water.

Make sure that you have waxed the plug/master that you are making the mold of.

Use a good quality mold release wax like Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Maximum Mold Release Wax.

First

I would practice practice practice making molds out of plaster of Paris (pop) for the price it's cheap

before buying & making Molds out of RTV cause it is expensive. & You can always change the design of your plaster of Paris hard (soft plastic mold) once it's totally dry. If your not satisfied with the shape or design. You can always carve, into it or sand or make another one. With RTV your molds will come out alot better but you don't have that option( like Pop) with RTV u cant alter the finished design once it done it's done.Start off making small baits till you perfect your technique then when your ready move onto RTV.

You can make some good baits with pop so take your time & don't be in a hurry

I use Duram's Water Putty (DWP) for most molds.  Found at Home Depot (in the painting section) it's very easy, moderately strong, however by itself does not give a very shiny finish. To combat that I take water and elmers wood glue in a 60:40 ratio mix it up and fill up the cavities, wait ~30-45 sec then pour it out. I do this one more additional time. Let dry x 24 after each coat. This will give it the moderately shiny finish.

or....

I have also used E-tex or Amazing Clear Cast (both found a Hobby Lobby) 2 part epoxy to make molds (both top pour and 3D). This will give it the very shiny finish that you get with aluminum mold for a fraction of the cost.   Remember to use the Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon.  I have read this is not good for high production as the epox will distort over time.  I am a weekend enthusiast and pour only for myself and some friends.  So far it I have some epoxy molds that have lasted over 5 years that I use regularly.

This it what I do...

1. get a piece of Plexiglas ~12x12
  2. glue your master to the Plexiglas.  I use that blue superglue and just a small dot every inch or so will hold the plastic down. 
  3. Make your mold box. For my mold boxes I use an old Tupperware container and cut the bottom off.
  4. squeeze a continuous bead of cheap caulking on the bottom and then place it over the plastic masters. Let harden x 24hours
  5. Gently rub Vaseline on inside of the box, plastics and the Plexiglas where the E-tex or ACC.  These epoxies will stick to plastic, so make sure you are very thorough with this step.
  6. Make sure you are on a level surface.
  7. Mix the 2 part epoxy and slowly pour into the mold box.  Let harden x 48 hours.
  8. Using the a metal spatula loosen the bottom of the mold and slightly pop it off the bottom.
  9. Rub off the remaining caulking and take out the plastic masters. 
  10. Now you are ready for the top pour.

I hope this helps.

--George.

Hey Guys

I've just started to make my own POP molds and needs some advice, what is the best way to seal the molds?

I've tried Appliance Epoxy Paint, Heat resistant paint, tile sealer with no luck, I've heard that one should use acrylic floor wax but unfortunately it's not obtainable in South Africa, is there anyone that can help me? 

I think you should first test different products that you can get on a piece of plaster of paris. Try products used for sealing and that are strong & can withstand 350 degree heat .I Use 2 part clear epoxy resin the kind that you mix together. You can get it on ebay.

Edited by Dinkerblue

Hey Guys

I've just started to make my own POP molds and needs some advice, what is the best way to seal the molds?

I've tried Appliance Epoxy Paint, Heat resistant paint, tile sealer with no luck, I've heard that one should use acrylic floor wax but unfortunately it's not obtainable in South Africa, is there anyone that can help me? 

I mix up some D2T really well, add enough denatured alcohol to make a 1/1 mix, and brush it on.  After it gets hard, I add a second coat, and it's done.  Because it's been thinned it soaks into the POP if it's dry, but it takes a little longer to harden.  I actually recoat after two hours, and then let the mold sit overnight.  It's ready to pour the next day, and it holds details.  Just be sure to spray it with PAM before you pour your plastics.

I know this is going to sound weird. I also use plaster of Paris molds., used about everything that I could think of. After the molds are dry I use a clear nail polish hardener in the cavities. I coat it about 4-5 times, it soaks fast and dries fast. Only have had to touch it up once in 2 years. My lures come out shiney and very easy. The polish I use is called, Hard As Nails. Hope it helps and good luck.