joelhains

New? Caney Creek/do-It Mold?

I just purchased a new mold from Do-it. It arrived yesterday and I just got a chance to try it out today. Right of the bat when opening the box I wasn't impressed with what I received. The mold looks like someone's old used mold. Not a brand new mold. It has writing on the side in black sharpie, some dark markings on the side, a big gouge in the aluminum on the bottom of one of the side pieces and it looks like someone took a grinding wheel to the injection port and removed a small amount of aluminum from the opening. Now all of this is only cosmetic and should affect the outcome of any baits produced from this mold. But the mold doesn't have any holes for screws, knobs or wing nuts to clamp it closed. Maybe all of Do-it's molds are this way (I don't know since this is my first from them) again... not really a huge issue as I can drill it out and tap it myself. The real issue comes to shooting the bait. Since there aren't any screw/clamp holes I am just using a set of adjustable clamps to keep the mold closed. This shouldn't be a problem they hold very tight but possibly not tight enough? My first attempt at shooting the mold I had plastic seeping out of both the top and bottom of the mold which, of course, produces a bait that is worthless or that needs serious trimming at best. I tried shooting again...this time really clamping down hard to keep the mold together and applying slightly less pressure on the injector. This time I had essentially the same result to a lesser extent. so after removing that bait from the mold it went directly into my sprew container and I tried one more time to shoot the bait. This time I applied even less pressure after clamping down on the mold to the point where I was concerned of damaging the clamps. the result was a bait with no flashing but it also didn't completely fill out the entire bait.

I guess my question is: Is this the type of quality I should expect from Do-it Molds? Do they just resell returned/used molds? Is it common to receive a mold without screw/clamp holes? and is there anything else I can do to shoot a good bait from this mold?

Thanks

P.S. I will also be sending this to Do-it.

IMG_20140713_131912371_zpsipoofjv9.jpg

IMG_20140713_131946209_zpsxnwyvdnx.jpg

IMG_20140713_131939566_zpsdzrbbmnk.jpg

IMG_20140713_132009334_zpsan5oocpv.jpg

IMG_20140713_132106962_zpsvxauhz1h.jpg

IMG_20140713_132249617_zpsohpcrxqe.jpg

IMG_20140713_132338965_zpsail9wics.jpg

Edited by joelhains

I can't speak for Do-It, but I often have customers say they do not need clamping screws in their custom molds as they always use a vise or bar clamps.  If they do not specifically say they do not want them I always put clamping screws in for plastic molds or lead molds with out handles.  For lead molds with handles I often make them without clamping screws.  

Edited by Bob La Londe

In my earlier comments I didn't really pay much attention to the type of mold in regards to your flashing issue.  Getting a tapered mandrel just right in a mold is a little tricky.  More than likely the mold is not closing fully on the mandrel.  It looks like it might be designed to be adjustable by sanding or filing a little off the back stem of the mandrel, so it slides back further in the cavity.  I would however contact Do-It about the issue, and see what they have to say before doing anything.  

I have the same mold you are speaking of. I do not have any problems using it at all. I have never had any flashing problems ,and do not have to shoot it and different than any other mold. Sounds like you do have a problem with the mold. That does not sound like their usual quality. I would get a hold of DO- IT  find out what they think.

I am not here to defend doit but the mold seems in line for some. You are right the outside is rough but looks like the way it was received off the truck that brought in the raw material. The rubs are the same thing. The reason I say this is because I have received bulk stock that looked like that. Some of the mold makers put some sort of finish on the outside but I guess they don't. The lines where the writing is from how they cut the stock into workable lengths. All of mine have the same marks on the end. I have never had any luck with those types of clamps, my advise is to get simple c-clamps. They do not have any give to them and will hold much better. Those types of molds take a lot of pressure it fill the skirt and I believe that is the reason for other end of the bait blowing out( also the rubber pads on the clamps). Change clamps and shoot at a medium speed and you will get good baits.

I have a 3" skirted chub grub. No holes for clamping.

I use a vice on the bench.

I clamp it hard, especially around the twin tail part.

This mold is a little tricky to shoot and I got some flashing to untill you learn it.

I shoot it fast but light pressure.

wow I thought i was the only one with this problem well. I purchased a 4.75" Ribbon tail worm from Do it/ canny creek company And I was disappointed with what I received from them. They are getting sloppy over there. I don't know who's in charge with quality control but that's not the way to run a business or handle customer service!

first off the mold was obviously not brand new. I believe if you pay full price for a brand new mold you should get A brand new item. Don't take peoples hard earned money & screw them by sending them an item that is used or does not work.the inside of the mold well It was used, Showed signs of use was dirty on inside old burned plastic residue marks left inside on different hinges corners, signs of use on injection port was used all they did was just tried to clean it then mailed it off. In the future I won't be purchasing any more items from them.

wow I thought i was the only one with this problem well. I purchased a 4.75" Ribbon tail worm from Do it/ canny creek company And I was disappointed with what I received from them. They are getting sloppy over there. I don't know who's in charge with quality control but that's not the way to run a business or handle customer service!

first off the mold was obviously not brand new. I believe if you pay full price for a brand new mold you should get A brand new item. Don't take peoples hard earned money & screw them by sending them an item that is used or does not work.the inside of the mold well It was used, Showed signs of use was dirty on inside old burned plastic residue marks left inside on different hinges corners, signs of use on injection port was used all they did was just tried to clean it then mailed it off. In the future I won't be purchasing any more items from them.

Again, I can not speak for Do-It and I am not defending them, but I test shoot every mold I make atleast once before I send it out.  

Again, I can not speak for Do-It and I am not defending them, but I test shoot every mold I make atleast once before I send it out.  

So does doit so all the molds have been used I guess. If someone wants the out side pretty I guess it could be done but inside is what matters. I clamp mine with c clamps so the out side is marked up real fast.

I sent Do-it a message yesterday and I got a response from them first thing this morning. I have had an email discussion with them about it and they were always quick to get back to me. I hope I didn't come off as bashing Do-it. I have many of their lead molds but this is my first injection mold from them. They are sending me a new one. I will reserve any judgment on them until I receive the new one. I will also be mailing this one back to them. But so far their customer service has be first rate. I'm certain I will be purchasing more injection molds from the in the future. I am really like the look of their topwater frog mold but that is a different discussion!

Take care to start and tap straight.  Aluminum can be harder to tap than steel if you do not get it right.  Also, if using a hand tap go slow and back the tap out every half turn after the first full thread cutter starts to bite, and blow the chips out of the hole and off the tap.  

I tap on the drill press with a tapping head and spiral point taps so the chips shoot out the back of the hole, but a hand tap just mashes the chips up between the flutes.  

Use a good cutting oil.  I like Tap Magic (all metals formula), but WD40 is OK if you use a lot of it.  If you use an aerosol can you can also use it to blow chips out.  Kerosene and transmission fluid are both sometimes used for aluminum as well, but I do not necessarily recommend them.  For that matter I don't necessarily recommend WD40 either.  

You will also want to use a good cutting oil when drilling your holes for your clamping screws.

Take your time and do it right.  There is nothing more frustrating than breaking a tap off in a mold that you have time or money invested in.  

I definitely recomend you drill your holes on a drill press and clamp down your mold when you do it.  Then use a countersink or tapered reamer to deburr and cut a slight chamfer on the holes (both sides of both plates) so you don't get a ridge when you are done that keeps the mold from closing properly.  

You did not know this was the way the molds came and asked a question. I have some that look just like that. If you had not posted pictures I would wonder. The clamp thing told me it was not the mold but the clamp but that's me I don't like the clamps with rubber feet. Wait till you get the molds hot and the feet start sliding off the clamp itself.

• Like 1

I have several do-it molds and all shoot Great. I think the writing is just their way of identifying the molds for quick sorting. All mine have that. Never had a issue except with one mold I bought used that would not shoot correct. I called them and sent the mold to them and they figured it was a issue with the mold. Even though I bought it used from someone else. They replaced it. When it comes to molds they have Great customer service. It does look like a clamping issue to me by the pictures.