darkangel

Heating Plastic

So I injected my very first mold today and all was well, BUT.....the second time I heated my plastic in the microwave, it changed from chartreuse to yellow! I used a harbor freight infrared thermometer and it read 340. I'm betting it's off by quite a bit!?!?!? Did it get too hot or what?

So I injected my very first mold today and all was well, BUT.....the second time I heated my plastic in the microwave, it changed from chartreuse to yellow! I used a harbor freight infrared thermometer and it read 340. I'm betting it's off by quite a bit!?!?!? Did it get too hot or what?

You must heat and re-heat micro wave plastic for short periods w/ a low setting on the microwave. 1 minute and stir-30 seconds and stir etc. All colors will change but white,chartreuse and smoke w/ flake are notorius to change color. Some plastisols hold color better under moderate heat but all will change-especially when heated in the microwave.

It takes a while to figure out how to heat different colors and different quantities.  One thing that helps me it I add heat stabilizer to all my plastics, and only heat them to 350 once, to get them to convert completely.  After that, 330 is plenty for either hand pouring or injection.

Smallmouthaholic, thanks!!  I bought a 900watt microwave and did 1 minute/stir, then 30 seconds/stir after that BUT I just used whatever the normal setting is on the microwave.  Do you think or is there a big difference between high and low settings?

Without question-use power setting 3-4 on a 1-10 scale. Heat stabilizer wil not overcome excessive heating in a microwave w/ light colors.. Your plastic keeps cooking even though the micro wave timer shuts down.All plastisols will burn and discolor when over heated but I've had the best results w/ MF and Spike-it.

Also, how much heat stabilizer should I use for 4oz of plastic???  Is there a standard amount per oz.???  After I get my 4oz test runs and colors down, I want to start doing larger batches.

A little goes a LOOOOOOOOOONG way!  I think it's best to mix stabilizer in larger amounts.  I always had a gallon set aside for multiple reheats and heavily salted baits, and usually just an ounce or 2 of stabilizer is more than enough for the gallon.  Too much more than that and your baits will stink.......BAD! 

well, last night was my first attempt at making my own plastics and I would say it was a huge success.  I had some poor injections on the first couple runs, but I got it dialed in now!  My first attempt at laminates produced 4 perfect baits on the first attempt.  Thanks guys, for all the help on questions I have had!!

swimbaits.JPG

swimbaits.JPG

swimbaits.JPG

swimbaits.JPG

swimbaits.JPG

swimbaits.JPG

swimbaits.JPG

swimbaits.JPG

post-46599-0-18019000-1406152273_thumb.jpg

well, last night was my first attempt at making my own plastics and I would say it was a huge success.  I had some poor injections on the first couple runs, but I got it dialed in now!  My first attempt at laminates produced 4 perfect baits on the first attempt.  Thanks guys, for all the help on questions I have had!!

Looks great.  Is that the 660?