robalo01

Making Bondo Heat Proof

Hi,

I have made quite a few bondo molds for lead pouring in my days and they work, but they don't last very long. Is there anything that could be added to it to make it more heat resistant? Silica sand, iron oxide, etc?

Is POP or Durams Water Putty  more heat resistant than bondo?

Stephen

I don't think that Bondo can be made heat proof.  Adding Silica might help, but the Bondo itself is the problem.  The chemical bonds break down when it gets hot.

POP initially is very poor with heat, but if you bake it to remove water, or let it cure for weeks in a warm place, then it handles heat better...... but it is not real strong.  POP is cheap, not strong.

Water Putty, sorry, never tried it so hopefully someone else can chime in here.

HELP all you experienced guys? :popcorn:

I know about the warping problem as the mold gets hot, from when I was developing a ballast pouring system. The solution that was suggested to me by Sagacious, here on Here is a write-up I did on the subject.

I could not find the original Sagacious thread.

Dave

I've never used silicon molds for lead before.

1. Where do you buy your silicon?

2. About how many castings do you get out of a silicon mold? Say a 1/2 jig mold. using 75ml of silicon.

Stephen

google gt products gt-1350 for someone that will ship to mexico

you can find it on ebay.

dont know how many castings, as I never poured more than a few dozen jigs per mold.

I know this is also a older post but don't know about heat proofing the bondo but for the warping you can add small metal rods the length of the mold inside the bond .also adding fiberglass strands to the mixture after the first coat over the master will also help. we had the same problem making metal castings for model train parts and we found that it helped