beekeeper

Hand Built Boats

23 posts in this topic

I have been away from this site for a while. These are some more boats I have built.

7lbbassJeffsPirogueMaidenVoiage018.jpg

A cedar/cypress strip pirogue:

March2011FishingBoat037.jpg

I was reminded, that I had not built my granddaughter a boat. So ...

KirstensBoat009.jpg

KirstensBoat013.jpg

She liked it:

100_0038.jpg

Mine:

TruckBoat024.jpg

For My son:

BistaneauxPirogue019_zpsf2d5582e.jpg

beekeeper

1 person likes this

You are a skilled boat builder.  In the stand alone pictures they don't look all that big, but in the water with somebody in them they look quite large.  

Thanks Bob.

The last boat is short and wide for a pirogue.  Best I remember it is about 11.5' X 30" in the floor.  It was made to be a through in the truck, stable fishing boat.  The others are more standard size pirogues.  14' to 15' long X 24" to 26" wide in the floor.

beekeeper

Your boats are truly works of art Beekeeper and your one heck of a craftsman. :yay:

Ben

Thanks Ben.  I try hard and it means a lot when someone likes them.  I have some friends that are real boat artist so I don't think I am at their level. 

I have tried to post a link to their work but no luck.  For works of art do a search for Keith's Pirogues, Denham Springs, Louisiana.

beekeeper

can I be your friend..?   you haven't built your new friend a boat...lol.....

wow that is some great work you have done...

This is why I build boats!

100_0149_zpsb1db55b2.jpg

My son said he liked it and it met all our goals we set for it. Now all we need to do now is catch some more fish.

beekeeper

Great Boats !!!!

A pleasure to see handcrafted master pices like these.

:)

Very nice work. I have built a small stitch and glue duck boat and have helped build a couple of strip canoes. I can appreciate the amount of work it takes to make one.Keep up the good work.

Don

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:35 AM, mark poulson said:

Are the gunnels to help hold the shape of the hull?

They may help some, but the sides' shape and flare are determined by the angle of the chine logs and the shape of the floor. The pictures don't show the sides well, but they are of lapestrake design.  This creates a very ridged panel .  Combined with the tumblehome top part of the sides, a very stiff and     stable shape is formed.

The gunnels may act more as a "top rail" protecting the edge of the side and defecting water splashed or dripped onto the top panel of the sides.

Hope I have not confused.

beekeeper

2 hours ago, beekeeper said:

They may help some, but the sides' shape and flare are determined by the angle of the chine logs and the shape of the floor. The pictures don't show the sides well, but they are of lapestrake design.  This creates a very ridged panel .  Combined with the tumblehome top part of the sides, a very stiff and     stable shape is formed.

The gunnels may act more as a "top rail" protecting the edge of the side and defecting water splashed or dripped onto the top panel of the sides.

Hope I have not confused.

beekeeper

It's as clear as mud!  Great looking boat!

15 hours ago, mark poulson said:

It's as clear as mud!  Great looking boat!

Thanks for the compliment, and sorry for the mud.  I will try again if you want me to .

beekeeper

3 hours ago, beekeeper said:

Thanks for the compliment, and sorry for the mud.  I will try again if you want me to .

beekeeper

No need, I got the gist.  Again, a beautiful boat.  Well done.

Ogeechee River Boat

Boat is finished except for the rear seat.  I will do that after I determine the best location.
IMG_4218_zpsqg4clrny.jpg
IMG_4216_zpsz5zi8jmd.jpg

Bottom coating is granite powder, Rockite, and graphite mixed with epoxy resign. Hard and smooth.
IMG_4233_zps0p1thpm2.jpg

beekeeper

Very nice job on this boat as the others. Did you go off a set of plans?  

Don

No formal plans.  Mostly "by hand and eye".  Sometimes I make sketches and record the measurements I think I need/want, and reference them as I build.  When I can remember what the scribbling is suppose to mean.:yes:

I like different and they usually don't sell plans for that.

beekeeper

Makes sense to me.  I can appreciate building from scratch.  You know how you want it look and perform, and basically you just construct it as you go in order to achieve your end results .  Looks great

Don