beekeeper

Hand Built Boats

Thanks Bob.

The last boat is short and wide for a pirogue.  Best I remember it is about 11.5' X 30" in the floor.  It was made to be a through in the truck, stable fishing boat.  The others are more standard size pirogues.  14' to 15' long X 24" to 26" wide in the floor.

beekeeper

Thanks Ben.  I try hard and it means a lot when someone likes them.  I have some friends that are real boat artist so I don't think I am at their level. 

I have tried to post a link to their work but no luck.  For works of art do a search for Keith's Pirogues, Denham Springs, Louisiana.

beekeeper

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:35 AM, mark poulson said:

Are the gunnels to help hold the shape of the hull?

They may help some, but the sides' shape and flare are determined by the angle of the chine logs and the shape of the floor. The pictures don't show the sides well, but they are of lapestrake design.  This creates a very ridged panel .  Combined with the tumblehome top part of the sides, a very stiff and     stable shape is formed.

The gunnels may act more as a "top rail" protecting the edge of the side and defecting water splashed or dripped onto the top panel of the sides.

Hope I have not confused.

beekeeper

2 hours ago, beekeeper said:

They may help some, but the sides' shape and flare are determined by the angle of the chine logs and the shape of the floor. The pictures don't show the sides well, but they are of lapestrake design.  This creates a very ridged panel .  Combined with the tumblehome top part of the sides, a very stiff and     stable shape is formed.

The gunnels may act more as a "top rail" protecting the edge of the side and defecting water splashed or dripped onto the top panel of the sides.

Hope I have not confused.

beekeeper

It's as clear as mud!  Great looking boat!

No formal plans.  Mostly "by hand and eye".  Sometimes I make sketches and record the measurements I think I need/want, and reference them as I build.  When I can remember what the scribbling is suppose to mean.:yes:

I like different and they usually don't sell plans for that.

beekeeper

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:50 AM, taklebob said:

Impressive. But too bad I can't view the other stuff. 

Thanks.  I don't know why  one set of pictures remain.  Photobucket has deleted all of mine (and others) and will not post them unless you upgrade to $$$ plan.

I have not found a new free site to use.  When I do I may try to repost some of the pictures.

beekeeper