GillGrabber

Japanese Lure Making

The page is blank after here it is don't know why I can't see it want to. Thanks for trying

OK. Let's try it this way Ranger. Go to YouTube and type in "FTV Handmade lure.avi" without the quotation marks. It should be at the top of the list. Be sure to put in the spaces between FTV and Handmade and lure.avi. Use capital letters in the places shown as well. If that doesn't work I don't know what to do.

good luck,

Ben

Wow, look at the time he puts into one bait? Hours! And the labor? They look great

I'm sure he put in more time than you know. And you can bet your butt his baits are not 15 bucks. We want everything right now, he wants a bait that has great action and catches fish. Check out the very end of the video at the action of 2 of the baits. I remember seeing some time back that some of the custom baits that are made like his go for hundreds of days. I guess that's why you can drive a Toyota 300,000 miles because of the way they are built. Just a thought.

Brent

No offence to OP at all, but I am sure 100% this is South Koreans. Not Japanese.

I suggest OP to change the title to "South Korean Lure Making".

Some reason I have some background so that can be able to recognize the difference between Korean and Japanese languages.

I am sure 100% the language used in this video is NOT JAPANESE, IT IS SOUTH KOREANS. Both script and spoken.

I remember that once before my Japanese friend said being mix-up Japanese as Korean is like misinterpret German as French. He means those two countries are totally different.

No offence to OP at all, but I am sure 100% this is South Koreans. Not Japanese.

I suggest OP to change the title to "South Korean Lure Making".

Some reason I have some background so that can be able to recognize the difference between Korean and Japanese languages.

I am sure 100% the language used in this video is NOT JAPANESE, IT IS SOUTH KOREANS. Both script and spoken.

I remember that once before my Japanese friend said being mix-up Japanese as Korean is like misinterpret German as French. He means those two countries are totally different.

The "OP" can't change the title at this time Go55. Regular members have a short window of time to edit their posts. Something like 15 minutes I believe. It's most likely that this was a mistake and that GillGrabber had no intention of any disrespect. If this is a sore spot with you then I suggest you contact the forum moderators to request the change as they are the only ones that can edit the title of this post.

Ben

It really does not matter where the lure was made. The bottom line is that this guy took the time to really make a nice bait. Time, skill, and patience are what it takes to really make a bait that is above the rest. The guy is a true craftsman, he makes the entire bait from scratch. My only questions are:

Does it catch fish?

and

How does the bait hold up?

Skeeter

I agree with Skeeter.  Many handcrafted Asian baits are truly beautiful.  But as a fisherman, for me it's strictly "beauty is as beauty DOES".  If it's beautiful AND catches fish, then the art is a plus because I like nice art.  But if not both, then neither.

When the Japanese started importing beautiful high quality (and rather pricey) plastic crankbaits to the U.S.,  I went through a period where I was hesitant to throw them lest they be lost or damaged.  But then I realized that if they don't "go in danger's way", crankbaits will never catch fish and are therefore functionally worthless.

I'm sure he put in more time than you know. And you can bet your butt his baits are not 15 bucks. We want everything right now, he wants a bait that has great action and catches fish. Check out the very end of the video at the action of 2 of the baits. I remember seeing some time back that some of the custom baits that are made like his go for hundreds of days. I guess that's why you can drive a Toyota 300,000 miles because of the way they are built. Just a thought.

Brent

That's dollars not days

In a way your first post was right.  Time is money, and, with all the labor he puts into his baits, he needs to charge a shload just so he can sleep at night.  It would break my heart to make such exquisite lures and not get what they are worth.

Your right Mark. I bet he gets a pretty penny for them. I sure wouldn't  give them away.

The problem that I see with most of the Japanese lures is with durability. Especially with the paint. They paint beautifully. But after a very short period of time the paint is either worn off, knocked off, or taken off by hook rash. On most of those lures we are only talking a matter of days. I just don't understand why guys continue to buy them. If I sell a bait to a guy and two days later the paint starts comming off then the buyer would just have a fit. But his tackle box is full of $25 baits from Japan that can't even take a week of fishing.

I guess the one thing that they are definitely better at than we are is selling. I just saw a Japanese site for a popular large wooden swim bait. They were showing one that belongs to a U.S. pro. The thing had bad deep hook rash scars on it down into the wood. They said that the more the bait gets beat up the better it is. BULL, all that thing is going to do is suck up water which will only change the heck out of the action and cause it to weigh a ton. And if you don't believe me... it will only cost you $400 bucks to find out. lol

Skeeter