rgordon83

Scent Evaporating

So I have been adding scent to the bags before I seal them and I've noticed that after a few weeks the scent seems to evaporite and the baits just smell like rubber again. I am using an anise-pro from Pro Cure. How do larger companies get their scents to absorb and stay smelly long after the bags are sealed?

I have heard that if you use a plasticizer then it will make the scent absorb, but I'm not sure what exactly plasticizer is.

Anyone have any advice on this?

You can google Plasticizer, but in short, it is what makes the plastic molecules bond together.  It is in the soft baits when we pour them or they would not work.  Adding a little softener with the Pro Cure might just work, but ........

I have never had what you are experiencing happen.  Weird, I sure hope that someone else chimes in here.

You can google Plasticizer, but in short, it is what makes the plastic molecules bond together.  It is in the soft baits when we pour them or they would not work.  Adding a little softener with the Pro Cure might just work, but ........

I have never had what you are experiencing happen.  Weird, I sure hope that someone else chimes in here.

I have googled it in the past but I still wasn't exactly clear on what to use. It seems like Plasticizer is a category of chemicals and so I wasn't sure which specific type. It also seems like their may be some regulations in some states about the usage. For example, it seems like Dinp was added to California's Prop 65 list of carcinogenic chemicals a year or two ago so I imagine it can't be used there.

We are coating our baits in scent before we out them in bags as that makes them easier to pack. Not sure if that makes a diff.

Have you tried adding scent to the actual plastic itself? 

We tried it but it mostly cooked out and the scent did not seem to hold well. We were going to try more but heard from a number of injectors that most of the time it will just cook out anyway.

The scent your using is designed to stick on the bait at the cast. Use dinp based scent. Everyone sells it, but Do It. (Upperhand) Dont cook it in. Its a waiste of time and scent. Scent prior to bagging.

Are there any other Plasticizers that would work besides DINP? It seems like California has added it to their Prop 65 list and it would require people who sell products containing the chemical to label packaging as such:

http://www.bna.com/california-add-diisononyl-n17179880738/

Also, is there a way to cut Plasticizer with an oil based scent like Pro Cure Anise Pro? Can it be mixed, does it need to be heated first? 

What if we mixed the scent with mineral oil? Has anyone tried that?

Wow......I had no idea the anise pro was designed to stick on the lure after the cast.  Almost makes me wanna fire some up and try it out!  LOL

I always added scent (Pro Cure) just before pouring and I could smell that stuff long after several casts. 

And Nova nailed it with mineral oil.  I tried that......just once!  :eek:

Wow......I had no idea the anise pro was designed to stick on the lure after the cast.  Almost makes me wanna fire some up and try it out!  LOL

I always added scent (Pro Cure) just before pouring and I could smell that stuff long after several casts. 

And Nova nailed it with mineral oil.  I tried that......just once!  :eek:

Pro cure actually has both oil based and gel based scents. The gel ones last a lot longer than the oil.