mossman

How to POP

Why won't my poppers pop. I've had much success making diving baits thanks to all you guys. but. I've made 8 really nice poppers that only splash water. The baits are 3" long and about 3/4" wide. some made solid and some hollow. All float horizontal and more than half under water. Woods are pine, cedar and poplar-basswood laminate ( poplar center, basswood sides ) Lemme know how to make noise, Fellas.

Maybe you need more of a cup in the face. Also the lower lip may need to extend more. Allot of poppers today have a slanted face. This started when some pros in Tx. use to shave the lip so that the lure would spit water instead of pop.

Skeeter

I like a popper that you can really yank and it won't come out of the water...some poppers either "pop out" or won't skim the surface. My favorite is made by one of Bill Dance's sponsers, have gotten many nice smallmouth on this bait and had some great boils by largemouth too. This particular bait will make more of a "blurb, bloop, blurb, bloop, blurb", sound, I love it! Damn, I'm gonna have to go cast that baby tomorrow, lol.

Jed

It sounds to me like you might want to try adding a little weight towards the back of the bait, many good models have the weight a little less than 3/4 of the way to the tail (that is, starting from the head, going towards the tail). As for the splashing, that is a good thing...I personally think the splashing attracts more large fish than that of a popping sound. If you think about it, a wounded minnow isn't likely to make a popping sound, but more of a splash anyways. Good Luck!