wormsoaker

Anyone Instal The "new" Down/side Scan Depth Finders Yet? Tips?

Hey guys,well I plopped down the $ for a lowrance HDS8 with down and side scan.I've been taking my time reading the install directions/do's and don't's. Moved the old Eagle ultra to the trolling motor,and I'm about ready to dive in. Any horror stories to tell? :whistle:   I'm thinking of (already bought) a transom mount bracket so i can raise/lower the monstrous side scan transducer for shallow water launches or times I just want it higher to protect it. I've moved the S/S radio to the other side of the boat so theres less chance of emi.  Also considering getting the lowrance ext. GPS ant. for faster updating of my position( has anyone out there tried one of these??,,,,,worth it? :?  )  Any info. or horror stories welcome( if it's really bad  log on with a different name :ph34r:
 Thanks in advance !

I've been running Low hds units for 3 years now.  They are real nice units.  I don't understand what you are planning with the lss ducer.  I'd mount it in a protected area. (I have mine mounted under the jack plate where it is pretty safe from stumps and other obstructions.

I have the LGC 4000 antenna and can't see much improvement with it.  I think the Point one would be the best choice but you'll need an NMEA  2000 network for to be able to use it.

I suggest you take a trip over to www.bassboatcentral.com and look at installs in the lowrance forum.

I installed mine about 2 yrs ago best I can tell you is take your time and think long and hard about where you want to put it I have a jon boat my transducer is on the transom I glued a line level to it so I can level it in the water and fold it up when I don't need it or if I'm loading the boat the lss2 transducer is loooong

thx guys,it's an aluminium boat no, jack plate and like wallyc launching in shallow spots it will need to be raised. I plan on using a portable bracket that can be adjusted to different heights,but it will be pemanently bolted on.Just using so i can adjust height of transducer to conditions as needed on the fly. It is too bad the transducer is so long.

Am I missing something? I don't have a down/side scan sonar but I have looked at several display models and it just seems like structure shows up nicely but fish are very hard to make out. I know that several models are using both types on a split screen so that you can compare views. Is it really that much better or is it just the "new fad".

Do you like your down/side scan, just looking for another idea. Musky Glenn

im waiting for the call to come out..so the fish just jump in the boat...i'll open my cooler and they can jump right in....p.s.  walleyes only..oh and ill have the biggest cooler on the lake......lol......I have a hds7 and hds5 both work great,but cabelas rigged mind up when I got the new boat....

Am I missing something? I don't have a down/side scan sonar but I have looked at several display models and it just seems like structure shows up nicely but fish are very hard to make out. I know that several models are using both types on a split screen so that you can compare views. Is it really that much better or is it just the "new fad".

Do you like your down/side scan, just looking for another idea. Musky Glenn

i like mine it's improved my deep water structure fish x12 and yes the fish are hard to see in the down/structure scan. But once you know what your looking for its not so bad once you get use to it

I have the LGC 4000 antenna and can't see much improvement with it. in general, I try to solve problems online (whether it is writing an essay or the technique in the house does not work). I think this is very convenient when you can find any answer to your question on the forum

Edited by keeranhops

On 5/24/2021 at 11:16 AM, keeranhops said:

I have the LGC 4000 antenna and can't see much improvement with it. in general, I try to solve problems by this link (whether it is writing an essay or the technique in the house does not work). I think this is very convenient when you can find any answer to your question on the forum

If it's an E120 Classic you'd have to build a Seatalk NG backbone with an adapter to NMEA2K and an adapter to Seatalk 2 to plug into the E120.

Edited by adamgreen22