1099gl

New To Airbrushing Baits And Need Help!

If you buy a cheap brush you likely won't get far. Spend the money and buy a quality brush, where you can get replacement parts. And probably most important, learn how to clean your brush. I've learned mostly from trial and error and searching through forums such as this. I also used a video from Amistad Tackle that you can pick up some basics from.

The Iwata Neo is as cheap as you'd want to go.  There are many sources for it online and through Ebay, so just take a few minutes to shop around.  Of course "cheap" can be a relative term.  I believe most would agree that you'll be better served with the Iwata Revolution BR, if you can afford it.  In the world of quality airbushes, it's very affordable.  You'll want a gravity feed, whichever you go with.  Createx paints will do well for you.  You'll have to experiment with air pressures and reducer to get it to spray the way you like.  If you don't have an air supply, a small, nail gun type compressor will do fine.  If it doesn't have a regulator, you'll need that as well.

Mark brings up one of the best points ever for buying a particular airbrush.

* Ease of tearing it down to clean.

Iwata makes an excellent gun. I have one myself. But in my opinion, the Paasche VL in the kit is the way to go. I have had mine for 14 yrs. and I still use it a lot. It tears down easily (exactly the same as my Iwata) and comes with the hose, tools, needles, tips, bottles, and cup. You need all of this stuff. If you don't get it all with your purchase you will end up having to buy it anyway. This gun is nothing but a workhorse and it is built very well. Plus most hobby shops carry Paasche parts. They are easy to obtain and cost much less than Iwata parts. There is nothing wrong with saving money. But if you go too cheap you will not be happy.

Skeeter

I bought a  passche. it is single action not gravity fed. its all they had. it was 79$. its a pain to clean between colors. I will be ordering another one now maybe even a passche but will be gravity few and double action.. don't be impatient like I was just get what you need want to start with.

Try buying a couple of spare paint bottles, and use one with clean water to back flush and clean your gun.  That's what I do with my Badger siphon gun, and it works fine.

I agree with the cleaning, clean often, at the beginning of the session, at the end of the session, and between color changes.  Experience will tell you how much and how often. 

I agree with having a bucket to black flush the brush in, and I advise a gravity feed air brush.  Often, during the spray session, between colors or between fills, I just soak the whole head of the brush in that bucket and push the spray valve.  This flushes clean water through the brush and cleans the build up off the crown and the tip of the needle.

I have a Passche Talon (gravity feed that comes with three different size needles for a hundred bucks total) an older Passche siphon and a Harbor Freight siphon.  I use the Harbor Freight for lacquer and for a fast and heavy base coat of acrylic, and I use the Talon for everything else.

My advise, learn from the airbrush painting experts.  As lure painters, we take the lessons the real painters have learned and use them for ourselves, but ........ we are not painting experts.  YouTube is full of true airbrush artist that are more then willing to teach us how to do the basics.  I suppose that WE are experts when it comes to base coats, colors, paint types, top coats, etc., but not really experts as it refers to true artist.

Once you get the basics, then practice, practice, practice.  The fish don't care and soon enough you will be shocked at how good your work looks.  Then, in a way, you will become as much of an expert as any of us are. 

I keep a Glad brand tupperware tub of water next to my painting area, and I made a simple U shaped wire holder that attaches to the side, so I can hang my air brush in the water while I'm drying my lure's paint without the paint in the brush drying out.

I used a metal coat hanger for the wire, so it's easy to do, and not expensive.

Badger has some airbrushes on their website that are discounted right now. I use one and I like mine. It's a syphon feed but I think the mass of lure painters all like the gravity feed guns. They have a couple of badger gravity feed guns with good discounts listed under their "garage sale" section. Maybe you can save a few bucks. They are good quality airbrush guns IMO..

I started with a $20 air brush from Harbour freight, the trick is taking your time and keeping the brush clean and free of water. Hobby lobby has a 40% off coupon, you can jump into a system at a discount.

But you need more than a brush, you need a system. Airbrush, regulator and airpump/compressor.

If you haven't used an airbrush before then you have a lot to learn. Google how to paint a crank bait and follow the vide instructions. I bought a dowel rod and cut it into about 20 sections and practiced painting two or three patterns. Heat setting paint and base coat and clean tip...post those three rules up and when something goes wrong I bet you have missed one of those three.

Good luck!