CObasser

Rtv Proto Type Mold ?

Any info on this would be much appreciated . I have a large swimbait proto type that I want to eventually make a silicone mold for but i don't want to dump $30 bucks a pop in silicone til i get it right .

It is a sculpy clay bait .Is  RTV an option to make molds to get my set up correct ( plastic hardness and tail design) . If so , please advise what type of RTV and the process to make a mold . Im not really concerend about the looks as I will fine tune the looks before making the silicone mold .

This is a nice design- The only recommendations I have would be to thin out the paddle and make it more perpendicular to the body. The other problem that you might encounter is that with long paddles, the shank to the paddle has to be slightly wider to keep the paddle moving- otherwise the paddle may end up dragging in the water without moving. I like Oomoo-25 for silicone- I order from Chicago airbrush supply. Hope this helps,

DAve

I'm no expert but I do fool around with making molds, PoP will work, Bondo will work, or RTV will work...I hope, I just ordered some Oomoo 60 to try out. PoP works and is cheap, but it's delicate, Bondo is a bit more durable.

As far as the shape of your swimbait, I'd try ovalizing the tail more, less square.

I am a little confused.  RTV stands for room temperature vulcanization, which is the process for making silicone molds.  There are different silicone mold densities, from quite soft and flexible to very stiff..... is that what you are referring to? 

I use Alumilite Silicones for the type of work you are doing.  The price is not cheep, but it is not terrible either.  Additionally, I can alter the mold as often as I alter the prototype with just a little work.  For what you are doing, HS2 or even quickset would work.

Still, as indicated by Ed, POP will work, but it is delicate so be careful.  Bondo is more expensive and less fixable then Silicones like Quick Set or HS2.

As for shape, ........ I had a square tail version that worked great, had versions with larger tails, but required more ballast and less retrieve speed, .... had ....... only your testing and personal preferences will be able to answer your questions.

Any info on this would be much appreciated . I have a large swimbait proto type that I want to eventually make a silicone mold for but i don't want to dump $30 bucks a pop in silicone til i get it right .

It is a sculpy clay bait .Is  RTV an option to make molds to get my set up correct ( plastic hardness and tail design) . If so , please advise what type of RTV and the process to make a mold . Im not really concerend about the looks as I will fine tune the looks before making the silicone mold .

If you are going to agonize over 30.00, this hobby is going to drive you crazy. As far as Plaster of Paris, you can buy smaller buckets at Walmart or hobby stores.

Plaster is not an option as its a baked sculpy proto an is semi ridged ......@smalljaw ......true that brother ...I 've been in the game for a while and  have dumped my fair share of $  ( ha ....it prolly was a determining factor in her cheating ....another fishing widow :D)  just to make stuff I thought was good   ......it was never a concern before when i had an idea but times they have a changed ..... Got divorced several years ago and am still paying my dues ...3 kids hitting college in a month and trying to support my second family . ....still love makin lures though and waiting for the quote of the new one to change from "oh ...that s cool baby , you have a hobby , thats awesome " to .." you are detached and hiding in the Garage " LMAO !!!!

For experimental purposes.. Here's an alternative... Instead of baking sculpy clay, get a bucket of air dry clay for 5 bucks from Walmart... Air dry stuff is reusable, just get it wet and it's clay again.. Since plaster is wet, you just scrape the clay out with a q-tip once the mold hardens.... Only problem is, you only get one shot.. After that the master is mush

You should start off make your swimbait out with sculpy oven baked clay sand it then primer It then use plaster of Paris for the mold which is cheap till you get better practice,practice and then move up to RTV cause it does

cost alot more.I've made several baits the same way

there's a lot to learn but once you get started its addicting to see your own swimbait develop before your eyes oh yes it can be expensive. Injectors aluminum molds, Glitter, Rtv blending blocks ect. Go. On to youtube there's

so much and so many ideas to bounce off of. Have fun!

If you make a mold of your hard sculpey master using the 100% silicone that comes in caulking gun tubes, you can use that mold to pour enough copies to make a larger, multi-cavity plaster of paris mold, so you can pour multiples from the same batch of plastic.

Hard master, soft mold.

Soft master, hard mold.

• Like 1