robalo01

Is There Anything To This?

Maybe, but I suspect the increase in vibration would be marginal if any.  Vibration on a shaft is a function of arm length, wire thickness, and blade style.  The actual wire length is increased, but the effective arm length is not.  So, does it matter?

I think I would do a side by side test of my own before I discounted it, but ....... in my mind, it is something to sell to the fisherman, not the fish. 

I've seen those before. While the concept of making the arm longer to create more vibration does make sense in theory... Why not just use thinner wire/more flexible material, like cable, if that is your concern?

You could even bend the wire into a coil past the line tie forming a spring to get more vibration if you wanted. A longer wire does equal more flex but I'm just not a fan of how that is done with this bait. I'm calling gimmick with a margin of truth in concept. It just doesn't look very clean and never could get past that.

Yeah, those bends will give some added vibration to the bait but there are other ways that work. The one thing nobody talks about, which is critical to the bait, is blade spacing. On a single blade bait you simply leave the blade arm a little longer and add an oversize blade and it is a thumper but for tandem blades, that is where the art is at. This death shimmer may work but to me it isn't anything I would get, as I mentioned, single blade spinnerbaits can be made to thump with less work.

I don't think they add anything to the lure, if you want more vibration use a thinner wire, you wont get the a long lasting lure but it will vibrate better. those were called Gargoyle spinnerbaits (or very similar to one) all those bends do is add an unnecessary cost to the lure...they are awexome looking but that is all they are, they do nothing to make a fish hit that lure any more or any less

• Like 1

Has anyone figured out how to add a chatter blade to a spinnerbait?  I've done it with cranks, but I'm wondering if it would work on a spinnerbait.

Just add a blade to an open eye wire form.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/media/gallery/category_4/tn_gallery_14432_4_2128.jpg

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/media/gallery/category_4/tn_gallery_14432_4_3677.jpg

Edited by Dink Master

I think I have seen one like I just Posted (Coil sping shaft)

Will it increase vibration  .. not tested yet . this Thread gave me the idea for doing this.

(I call this the Texas Chicken Color skirt)

CoilShaft14ozSBait.jpg

CoilShaft14ozSBait.jpg

CoilShaft14ozSBait.jpg

CoilShaft14ozSBait.jpg

CoilShaft14ozSBait.jpg

CoilShaft14ozSBait.jpg

CoilShaft14ozSBait.jpg

CoilShaft14ozSBait.jpg

post-16634-0-52651700-1409253016_thumb.jpg

Edited by JSC

More vibration...   I know people who absolutely swear by the thinner wire of the Willy Wacker.  I think every one of them has a story about wearing one out and losing the fish of a lifetime because it broke too.  

I know of two lures that have come up with their own solutions to that.  

Bob Rickard (deceased) of Secret Weapon Lures (still innovating) came up with the quick change swing arm spinnerbait and got a patent on the design.  I would argue about whether it vibrated as much as other baits, but Bob claimed the felt vibration up the line was misleading because the vibration was transmitted to the water.  I don't know, but my first big pay day in a tournament came dragging one through the tops of healthy submerged grass.  I out fished my front seat partner two to one that day.  Joe Haubenreich is still leading Secret Weapon Lures and constantly making fine adjustments and adding to the line up.  

Simon Apodaca (spelling?) of Taipan Rods and fomerly of King Cobra Tackle Company came up with the dual concept spinner bait many years ago.  It has a light wire upper arm and a heavy wire lower arm.  The upper arm vibrates much more than a heavy arm would.  Just as much as a Willy Wacker, but the heavy wire from the tie point to the head doesn't wear out and break like a Willy Wacker.  Manual Garcia bought King Cobra Tackle from Simon and has several minor improvments to the joint between the wires.  I have caught some good fish on these baits, cashed several big fish checks, and placed in a couple tournaments with them.  I use them as a winter time dying grass bait almost interchangeable with lipless crank baits.  This is really a year around bait if you like spinnerbaits.  

Edited by Bob La Londe

I think we would have to define how vibration is measured. If we are going by what we feel on the rod, a lot of factors com into play, including the line stretch, rod sensitivity and stiffness, etc. In fact, a stiffer upper are is more likely to transmit the vibration up to the rod. A more flexible arm would absorb the vibrations and would be felt less on the rod (I would think). That is not to say that ones send more or less vibes into the water. I am not sure how we could measure that.

I am no expert on any of this but it is my understanding that a bass feels the vibration of a lure long before it can see the the flash of, or the lure itself so I think that good strong vibrations are the biggest asset of any spinnerbait since that is a bass first indication that there is food or an intruder entering his territory. That is not to say that colors, head shape, design, balance and the ability to come through  or over brush/weeds or other structure without hanging -up easily is any less important as all of these things contribute to a good bait.

I have built many spinnerbaits over the years and I have always felt that I got stronger vibrations from a single blade bait than I ever did with a tandem blade .

One of the posts #7 from Smalljaw in this topic  really intrigued me when he said that," blade  spacing is critical to getting the vibrations from a tandem blade bait". This is something that I will experiment with .

Another post #17 also caught my attention when he was talking about the dual concept spinnerbait. I had never heard of this before. I made my self a few of these (Not to sell) using titanium wire for the blade arm don't know how long they will stay together but they give off very good vibrations for a small bait and absolutely will not roll over on their side when burning them. I posted a few of them in the gallery, here is the  link to them,                                          http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/image/13743-flexarm01/