the-bass-catcher

2 photofinish problems, help!

I was just beginning to make some to sell when I ran into these two problems:

1.) I'm using regular paper, spraying with krylon clear gloss(acrylic) to seal the paper from being smudged by the elmer's glue. I'm getting many airbubbles in the devcon 2 ton clearcoat. The bubbles always seem to appear on the flat surface of the paper. What is causing this or how do I prevent it. (I've NEVER had this problem before with plain airbrushed lures)

2.) I'm noticing some separation of the devcon from the plain plastic around the hook anchors as I clean them with my x-acto knife. Do ya'll sand the plastic down to add some tooth?

Thanks to all in advance!

I'm using Elmer?s wood glue...mostly because it was handy.

I Do sand the plastic...just enough to take the shine off.

The glue... I use "just enough" for a very thin coat on the lure, then add the photo image and quickly line it up in place. Then hold the curves down and make sure the edges are also glued down.

The Krylon should be:

Krylon

Workable Fixatif|1306 this is exactly what is written on the can.

Your photo Image will not smudge if you get glue on it...it will wipe right off...other wise, smudge city.

I'm having no problems at all with the top coat.

Make sure you're mixing it well. Do not use wood to stir it with, use plastic or metal stir. Mix it in a plastic souffl? cup, you can but em at restaurants for like $1.89 for 200 of em.

Breathe on the epoxy a couple during mixing (as though you were going to clean your glasses) it heats it up a little and eliminates allot of bubbles.

Hope this has helped ya.

Thanks all,

I started using the clear acrylic to prevent the elmer's from smudging the pic (I have an old hp deskjet). I'm thinking that the paper is causing the bubbles, like redg8r said. I've tried breathing on them, but it seems more bubbles appear. Is there a technique of sealing the paper with something first? (remember, i'm just using plain ol' paper for now) I thought I was sealing it with the krylon, but I guess not. I'm not too worried though, the next coat after painting the belly and back should hide all the pesky bubbles.

again, thanks for the feedback. :D

Oh yeah, what are you using to glue it down with, RiverMan?

Thanks all' date='

I started using the clear acrylic to prevent the elmer's from smudging the pic (I have an old hp deskjet). I'm thinking that the paper is causing the bubbles, like redg8r said. I've tried breathing on them, but it seems more bubbles appear. Is there a technique of sealing the paper with something first? (remember, i'm just using plain ol' paper for now) I thought I was sealing it with the krylon, but I guess not. I'm not too worried though, the next coat after painting the belly and back should hide all the pesky bubbles.

again, thanks for the feedback. :D

Oh yeah, what are you using to glue it down with, RiverMan?[/quote']

I've been using glue sticks to secure the photos with good results. Just make sure it is totally drried out before painting and top coating. JMHO.

BC,

I experimented with many glues before settling on the one I am using now. Maybe Elmers will work for you but for me the paper would sometimes come loose if I pulled on it. I test everything, just my nature and I didn't like the results I was seeing. With the glue I am using now, Loctite Wood Worx, once the paper is in place there is no pulling it off, in fact, it's difficult to scrape it off with a knife. Remember your final finish can bond only as good as the layer underneath it. So if the paper isn't properly bonded to the wood, the clear-coat will end up just floating over the wooden body, not a good thing. This particularly becomes a problem when the bait warms up, like a sunny day chasing bass. Wait until the glue completely dries and then see if you can lift the stencil off of the wood body, if so, no good. Once a paper stencil is in place on one of my baits, you can't lift it a millimeter on any edge.

I have never used any kind of a acrylic spray and am using printer paper just like you are. I never have any problems with smudging and so I don't worry about it. I am very careful to only use enough glue to stick the paper down. You must also be very careful as to not touch the paper stencil any more than you have to. Devcon is the easiest product ever to put over the stencils. I am guessing that you are having problems are resulting from the acrylic spray as I have never experienced any bubbling at all....well other than the bubbles in the Devcon as a result of mixing.

jed