socal cranker

Uv Cured Resin

Ange is what a Japanese friend uses. 

Will Solarez cure clear?  It will be used to replace holes I will make in plastic cranks.  May or may not be painted over.

It depends on what you define as clear.  I just started using Solarez recently and it is a low gloss finish and in my use, it is less clear than Devcon 2Ton.  One of the things I noticed is that the reflective quality of the eyes is diminished as is some of the reflective quality of the paint.  Haven't fished the lures enough yet to tell you if it makes a difference to the fish.  I need to qualify that I have cured most of my lures top coated with Solarez in the sun on my lure turner and let them turn for 10 - 15 minutes.  They seem to come out a little clearer when dried in a UV finger nail light box, but I haven't spent the time to rig that up properly yet and it's a pain to hand hold them.

Dpalinsk,

Thnx for the input.  I have a UV finger nail light box.  I am leaning toward a UV flashlight as the area to be sealed will be small and this is what my friend uses. 

Next question: What is the viscosity of Solarez?  Something on the thick side would be idea for my intended use.

I use this:

http://solarez.com/products/low-voc-dual-cure-polyester-resin/

and a UV nail light.  It is just about as runny as Etex epoxy, but has enough surface tension to let me make bulging eyes, if I am careful.  It is great for spot repairs.

Like Dpalinsk said, it is glossier if cured in the nail light box instead of out in the sun.

I am using Solarez more often now as a top coat and I find that it dries clear in the thickness we use for baits.  If I mix too much and let it dry in the cup I find that with thickness there is a slight pinkish hue to the cup.  It is not quite as clear or glossy as D2T but I have had good success  curing very near glossy using the following technique.  Shake it up before pouring out what you are going to use.  This is necessary because there is a surfacing agent which helps it dry "bone dry" to the feel.  I am small time hobby type user and almost always use less that 1/2 oz.  Curing without UV light requires 3 drops of MEKP hardener.  I put one drop MEKP in the small amount I use and I use sunlight for my UV source.  If you put the solarez in the sun to cure it will cure too fast and be cloudy/satin in finish.  When I use sunlight for a cure, I expose the solarez coated bait to sunlight, roll it around for total coverage and get it out of the sun in 5 seconds.  No kidding.  Back in the shop for 30 seconds, and back in the sun for 5 seconds.  Do that 3 times and you can see it is starting to cure.  Then you can give it more time in the sun, rest in the shade and then just hang it outside.   This gives the best finish I can get and it is very near D2T.  Looks great.  I don't know how the UV lights work, it may be slower and achieve the same finish but in the sun this works the best.

I've completed around a dozen Topwater lures with Solarez over the last couple of weeks using the UV nail light dryer. Got very satisfactory results brushing on the Solarez, turning them on my lure dryer for 10+ minutes and then 1 minute on, one minute off 3 times in the UV light box. Also shake the can of Solarez before using.

I'm really pleased with the clarity now and find it way easier to use than Devcon. I fish in the California Aqueduct for Striper which is a pretty rough environment for lures. Between the Stripers slamming the lures and then beating them against the cement walls and gravel, I was curious to how well the Solarez would hold up. Over 20 Stripers landed and probably another 30-40 blow ups and farmed fish, the lure is holding up really well and Solarez appears to be more durable than DevCon.