barrybait

Silver Colored Sides For Baits

Learned something I wanted to share.  I just posted a picture of a Delta Shiner pattern paint job I did for a friend.  Previously I struggled achieving a nice silver side for a baitfish.  I used Createx Pearl Silver.  When I painted this over white it never really went to silver but I learned from other members that it was much more effective if painted over a black base color.  Well that worked but then I ran across Createx Wicked Aluminum and decided to give that a try.  Tested everything on a wood dowel first painted the dowel white all the way around and then did black on one side of dowel fading to all white.  Then I painted a pearl silver band all the way around for a test and a wicked aluminum all the way around for a test.  The wicked aluminum was much more effective in achieving the silvery color like the sides of some baitfish.  Got a good silver color over both the white and black test areas.  It worked out great on the Delta Shiner pattern I painted and is easier to do. 

I do this with Pearl white and sometimes pearl silver if I want a more dramatic silver.

Base a bait in all black

Paint the bottom white and fade up a little with the white. 

You want to make sure you have a decent fade about 1/4 up the side so that the black shows through a little at the 5 and 7 oclock position and a lot at the 4 and 8 oclock position.

I usually paint the face and anything I dont want silver white at this point.

Next spray a few light coats of white pearl down to the 5 and 7 oclock position or on the bottom to personaly flavor here.

You will see that you have a nice transition from silver to white down the side and to the bottom of the bait.

You can vary the darkness of the sides to get a trasition too but it will also give some different hues so thats a more refined technique.