SNOWMAN CUSTOM BAITS

Lure Dryer ?

It doesn't matter on which axis baits are turned - either works equally well.  So which you choose has more to do with practicalities like the size of the baits you build, and how you will attach the baits to it.  My small turner has an axle with 6 alligator clips that clamp onto the lips of baits (protected with a little blue painters tape).  Works well for me since I build small batches of bass baits and rarely paint lipless baits or baits so long that they would hit the frame at the bottom of the turner.  My turner runs at 4 rpm, slow enough that I can clip baits into the alligator clips while it is running.

For my turner, I found a package of alligator clips at Home Depot that fit on 1/8" wooden dowels.  The axle is a piece of 1/2" dowel with three holes drilled in it (making for 6 spokes) and the 1/8" dowel spokes epoxied in, with the alligator clips crimped onto the spokes.  I found an A/C low rpm motor on the internet, a Micro Yang 4 rpm disk motor that's small but produces a surprising amount of torque.  It cost $7.  I've been running mine for more than 10 years with no failures.  Not pretty but it gets the job done. 1-IMG_0242.JPG

1-IMG_0242.JPG

1-IMG_0242.JPG

1-IMG_0242.JPG

1-IMG_0242.JPG

1-IMG_0242.JPG

1-IMG_0242.JPG

1-IMG_0242.JPG

post-12515-0-26437600-1409412458_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobP

I made mine off a bbq rotisserie motor. It is a 2" block of wood attached to the motor and Velcro attached to the 2" block. I use square dowels for the handles with alligator clips to hold the baits by the bills. The other half of the Velcro is attached to the handle so I can attach the bait to the turner as while it's turning.

I built mine like Carver did although mine only has places for 8 baits. The one problem I have is the rubber bands I've been buying seem prone to drying out and breaking rather frequently. Been meaning to replace them with carburetor springs, but haven't gotten around to it.

Ben

Just had a couple near disasters this weekend because of old rubberbands and I like the carb spring idea a lot. Thanks Ben!

Just had a couple near disasters this weekend because of old rubberbands and I like the carb spring idea a lot. Thanks Ben!

I've had a couple of those disasters as well. Went to sleep one night only to wake up hearing a clunk........clunk.....clunk sound. Not a pretty sight to wake up to. That was before I started fastening the bait with two rubber bands. Had a band or two break since then, but fortunately the other one held.

Ben

I haven't actually tried the carb springs yet, but I'm pretty sure they can be cut to an appropriate length to fit your dryer and have a new open loop bent into it where the cut was made. And they should still be forgiving enough to hook easily onto a lure. May have to give this a try this week if I don't forget about it AGAIN. lol

Ben

I like to add a timer into the loop.  Just plug your dryer into the timer and the timer into AC outlet.  Cost is next to nothing and you can set it for the time needed for the cure time and forget it.   Just get one that you can configure to only turn off so it will not cycle on and off every 24 hours. Most will have a manual start button. Roll the dial for the time you need. 

Lure Drying Rack

(The original image is posted to the "Hard Bait" gallery)

Maybe someone will find value in this. This is my lure turner/drying rack.  I re-purposed an old motor from a piece of woodworking gear that had a variable speed motor. Variable speed is not need but handy. The arms are about 14 inches long and 2 inches wide. One arm has paper clips screwed to both sides on the edges and one arm has the same clips on one edge and "Velcro" on the other side to hold unusual items.

Another thing you might find handy is the roller chain connecting the two arms. That works well, there is no slop during rotation so there is no need to try and balance the load at that given time.  The motor is direct drive to one arm and chain driven to the next. I'm sure if needed you could extend out several more arms if needed.  This setup is nice and compact, works well, and can spin +30 lures at a time if needed as configured.

(The original image is posted to the "Hard Bait" gallery)

Maybe someone will find value in this. This is my lure turner/drying rack.  I re-purposed an old motor from a piece of woodworking gear that had a variable speed motor. Variable speed is not need but handy. The arms are about 14 inches long and 2 inches wide. One arm has paper clips screwed to both sides on the edges and one arm has the same clips on one edge and "Velcro" on the other side to hold unusual items.

Another thing you might find handy is the roller chain connecting the two arms. That works well, there is no slop during rotation so there is no need to try and balance the load at that given time.  The motor is direct drive to one arm and chain driven to the next. I'm sure if needed you could extend out several more arms if needed.  This setup is nice and compact, works well, and can spin +30 lures at a time if needed as configured.

I really like your design!   :yay:  :yay: