kmer7777

Epoxy Colorant

I want to experiment with adding color to some epoxy. 

I'm NOT using it as a top coat, but more as a filler and adhesive. I expect the glue to run ooze out of the hole when I insert the hook shank and think it would look cool if it was 'red'..

Ideas I have are ....a drop of food coloring or red ink into the epoxy. It will be a very small (accent) and I am not very worried about blemishes or strength.

Any suggestions?

Edited by kmer7777

Go to any place that mixes and tints paint and ask for a sample of "Universal Tint". It will be in a paste consistency and you will use very small amount to do what you want to do.  To mix epoxy for a few hook hangers you will just touch a match stick into the tint and mix it with your epoxy.  an ounce will last years.

There are tints for acrylic and epoxy, get the right one.  

Have fun!

Kmer7777:

Google search for "universal tint" finds 7,160,000 results in .41 seconds.  Let the hardware guy know.  You can have some fun with that, he may not like it.

Here are the top three  four hits:

MIXOL Universal Tint at Woodcraft - 20 mL bottle $5.79    This will tint epoxy, I have used it before.

Metallic Mart - 2 oz $8.63  Good deal, lots more for a bit more money.

Universal Tint and Auto - Window tinting, not what you need this time.

MIXOL Universal Tint on Amazon - 20 mL bottle $5.49     This will tint epoxy, I have used it before.

Good luck,

Is 'highlight powder' the same as alumidust?

I have no idea about alumidust. I believe that highlite powder is made from mica. You would have to disolve it in a thinner if you don't want to stir the heck out of the epoxy. It would put a colored sheen to the finish as well as give the finish more depth. Come in  6 or 7 colors.

The paint stores all have tints they fill into their macines, you could probably go to a home depot or lowes early in the am when they are doing their daily maintence and they would either suirt some in a container or give you the can with some left in it....or just order a basic marbeling kit rod builders use to get the swirly effect some of the custom rod guys like....good luck.